M10 HVSS finished

Started by General Zod, August 03, 2010, 10:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General Zod

Greetings lovers of tracked vehicles.It has been far too long since building a WHIF. After some IM chatting with Jeff Fontaine about an M10 using the E8 HVSS,I thought why not,. 1/48 Tamiya M10 hull,turret,and exhaust area. Hobby Boss lower hull,transmission cover,and E8 suspension. The duckbill part of the turret is from Mr Modelbau Achilles conversion. I am using the 17lbr barrel,but using the 76mm muzzle brake. Hauler PE/resin tool set.
I am also adding spaced armor. Markings will be for N.Africa.WW2.

Yeah,I know the load is late.But the voices keep telling me to pull over and clean the guns.
Death before decaf
Chad

Jeffry Fontaine

Looking good!  Hope you build another one like this with an M26 Pershing turret. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

General Zod

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on August 04, 2010, 03:00:25 PM
Looking good!  Hope you build another one like this with an M26 Pershing turret. 

Thanks Jeff. I will be building a few with pershing turrets. A couple more pix.

Yeah,I know the load is late.But the voices keep telling me to pull over and clean the guns.
Death before decaf
Chad

dy031101

First, another excellent work in progress!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: General Zod on August 04, 2010, 05:30:43 PM
Hope you build another one like this with an M26 Pershing turret. 

Thanks Jeff. I will be building a few with pershing turrets.

I don't know if I should second this motion or ask about the possibility of modifying the hull into a T14......
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

General Zod

Quote from: dy031101 on August 04, 2010, 06:07:04 PM
First, another excellent work in progress!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: General Zod on August 04, 2010, 05:30:43 PM
Hope you build another one like this with an M26 Pershing turret. 

Thanks Jeff. I will be building a few with pershing turrets.

I don't know if I should second this motion or ask about the possibility of modifying the hull into a T14......
Thanks friend. That t14 does look like it has some sort of HVSS suspension. Plus the hull resembles the M10 hull.
Death before decaf
Chad

dy031101

I figured the T14 might well be the closest thing to a balance between being a heavy tank and being based on the Sherman (since the M6 Heavy is too big)...... except for the main gun, of course.

And when a mass-production unit gets derived or even merely modified into something that can give the widely-advertised elites a run of their money...... it makes me happy (with the exception of most MiG-21/J-7 versions unless it's a derivative of Analog 144).
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

General Zod

Quote from: dy031101 on August 04, 2010, 06:36:35 PM
I figured the T14 might well be the closest thing to a balance between being a heavy tank and being based on the Sherman (since the M6 Heavy is too big)...... except for the main gun, of course.

And when a mass-production unit gets derived or even merely modified into something that can give the widely-advertised elites a run of their money...... it makes me happy (with the exception of most MiG-21/J-7 versions unless it's a derivative of Analog 144).
If the M10 would have had thicker front armor,that would have been a good thing. The angle on the front armor was good. But its thin armor,not good. I am going to search for some good T14 scale drawings.Mine would be armed with a 105mm howitzer however,
Death before decaf
Chad

jcf

According to Hunnicutt the T14 used the horizontal volute spring suspension units and 25 and 3/4" track of the M6 Heavy.
Three suspension units with 18" diameter wheels were used per side.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Really like what you're doing with this Gen Z. 17pdr is a great choice for a late M10.... I saw that you're planning a desert war finish, but if you were to change your mind at any time, I would respectfully suggest an Israeli or even Yugoslavian/Serbian/Croatian scenario..... just a thought  :wacko:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

General Zod

Thanks for the info John

Ian,I will probably end up doing on of those versions in the future.A lot of it depends upon markings availabilty for those countries in 1/48. Nothing as of now for those countries.
Got paint and some markings on.

Death before decaf
Chad

Jeffry Fontaine

Chad,

The finished model certainly looks good and is quite convincing.  Looks like it is sitting in a tank park waiting to be picked up by a new crew. 

Would the additional armor on the front have to be removed to access the transmission and final drives?  Or is there enough room underneath to make that a non-issue for accessing the bolts attaching this component to the hull? 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

General Zod

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on August 16, 2010, 01:42:00 PM
Chad,

The finished model certainly looks good and is quite convincing.  Looks like it is sitting in a tank park waiting to be picked up by a new crew. 

Would the additional armor on the front have to be removed to access the transmission and final drives?  Or is there enough room underneath to make that a non-issue for accessing the bolts attaching this component to the hull? 

Jeff
Thanks,but it's not quite finished yet. <_< I will be doing some weathering. The front armor would have to be taken off to do any transmission work.
Death before decaf
Chad

buzzbomb

Looks totally feasible to me

Nice job with the mods

General Zod

Quote from: buzzbomb on August 16, 2010, 05:28:10 PM
Looks totally feasible to me

Nice job with the mods

Thanks buzzbomb
Death before decaf
Chad

Joe C-P

That's one to stump the J.M.N.s.   ;D
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.