2 D9's and a 123

Started by NARSES2, August 02, 2010, 08:14:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Well finally got my butt into gear and got a few things finished.

First off :

Finnish Hs 123

The Germans secretly supplied the Finn's with 30 Hs 123's from ex. Lufwaffe stocks in the Autumn of 1941. After some intense training in Germany and the shipment of the aircraft across the Baltic Sea these aircraft were ready for the Axis Invasion of the Soviet Union in 1942. They served with distinction in the advance by Finnish forces on the Northern Front and subsequently served in the close support role during the Battle of Leningrad. With the cities fall during "Black Month" the  Northern Front gradually became a backwater and these aircraft were used in an armed recce role until being replaced in late 1944 by Me 109's in the fighter bomber role.

It's the 1/72 Airfix model finished with mainly Xtracrylic and Tamiya paints using transfers from the spares box.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

No 2

Finnish Fw 190 D

In an attempt to keep Finland in the war the Germans supplied the Suomen Iimaniomat with 20 Fw 190 D 9's in the Spring of 1946 to replace their Me 109's. These were used for a few months for patrols over the Baltic but saw no real action. When the Finns signed a separate peace treaty they were allowed to keep these aircraft as part of the rather benign terms of this treaty. This particular aircraft is as flown post war by 2/HeLv 31 during 1949.

Kit is the Tamiya 1/72 model, finished with mainly Xtracrylic paints. The transfers are from the current Airfix Me 109 G with the serial made up from the spares box.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Finally

ANR Fw 190D 9

By 1946 the ANR was finding it increasingly difficult to source spares for it's Macchi  C.205's Veltro's and the Lufwaffe supplied them with Fw 190 D 9's on the proviso that they were used to help defend Southern Germany from the increasingly heavy allied air attacks launched from captured Italian bases. With the successful allied offensive through the Balkans and South eastern Europe the surviving aircraft were switched to the Hungarian front where they were when the General cease fire came into force. After the peace treaty the reconstituted IRAF replaced it's German supplied aircraft with Spitfires and Typhoons/Tempests. It's rumoured however that some of these D 9's subsequently found their way to Israel all though no pictorial evidence has ever been discovered to prove this.

Kit is the Tamiya 1/72 model, finished with mainly Lifecolour paints in the 3 tone splinter scheme that was used on some ANR Mc 205's. The transfers are from the Sky Mc 205 sheet which offers excellent value for money with all the options even though they can be extremely fiddly to cut out

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Very nicely done, young sir ! :thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Tophe

Uncommon!
I do have decals from Hungary (not used on my Morton), are you interested by receiving them (for free)?
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

ChernayaAkula

Nice stuff!  :thumbsup: The  D-9 looks particularly "right" in those colours!  :wub:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

sequoiaranger

Good Work.

I always thought the Hs-123 would look "cute" as a monoplane, but I like it as a biplane, too!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

kitbasher

Very nice Chris, especially like the Hs123 - can't imagine it looking any different in Finnish service.  The subject/colour scheme is such an obvious combination I'm surprised we've not seen it before.  ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

matrixone

Oops! I almost missed these.

Love the two D-9s. :wub:

I might do one of my new Fw 190 D-9's in the ''smoke ring'' Italian camo pattern just to see how it looks, should make for an interesting what-if. :lol:

Matrixone

NARSES2

Quote from: Tophe on August 02, 2010, 08:42:54 AM
Uncommon!
I do have decals from Hungary (not used on my Morton), are you interested by receiving them (for free)?

Thanks for the offer Tophe, but I've a lot of Hungarian "decals" both the chevron's and the crosses  :thumbsup:

Quote from: matrixone on August 02, 2010, 05:55:46 PM
Oops! I almost missed these.

Love the two D-9s. :wub:

I might do one of my new Fw 190 D-9's in the ''smoke ring'' Italian camo pattern just to see how it looks, should make for an interesting what-if. :lol:

Matrixone

I'm exceptionally flattered, thankyou. Would love to see a "smoke ring" D.9

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Matrixone

Les, I think the word you're looking for is 'Spectacular'

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

NARSES2

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on August 03, 2010, 02:19:08 AM

Matrixone

Les, I think the word you're looking for is 'Spectacular'

Ian

Exactly Ian, it would look stunning given the standard of workmanship associated with the gentleman  :thumbsup:

ysi_maniac

You can never be wrong with Doras :thumbsup: :mellow:
Will die without understanding this world.

Doc Yo

Quote from: ysi_maniac on August 03, 2010, 09:23:09 AM
You can never be wrong with Doras :thumbsup: :mellow:

Mmmm. I'm more of a Barbis man, myself, but its a lovely trio of builds-like the Henschel especially.
I was just re-reading the entry on them in Warpalnes of the Third Reich and was surprised at how
few of them had actually been built.

CAO 700

Very interesting and VERY WELL BUILT AND PAINTED!
Beautiful planes are french! (Amiot 143, for example...ugh!)