Painting MDC cord

Started by nev, April 24, 2004, 01:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

OK you's guys, I gotta paint my MDC cord on my Tornado canopy before I fit it in place.  Only problem is I suck at such fine detail painting, and its too big & obvious to not paint it.

Any suggestions?  :tornado:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Geoff_B

Eduard

Hi Nev

Just looked at the Eduard Paint Mask but that doesn't seem to show anything suitable.

Thor B)  

Captain Canada

Aren't there little 'valleys' in the canopy to represent the chord ? If so, try using water paints, and poring it in there......then wipe away the excess.

Imwas gonna try that on my wee hawk....but in the end, didn't do anything !

:P  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nev

Toad - no, its raised

Thor - I've already got the eduard masks.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Amphion

QuoteToad - no, its raised.
Maybe a felt pen, just baaaaarely touching the plastic, will suffice. Just enough colour to high-lite the detail.

I kind of remember doing some thing like this on a model some time  :blink: . Beeing sunday morning I canĀ“t for the life of me recall the model, or the result  :wacko: .
Amphion

Mairfrog

If it's raised detail then it's easy. :P  Use a brush to apply paint in the general direction of the cord then, and this is the cunning bit, use the tip of a cocktail stick to remove any overspill. The wood absorbs the paint and the pointy end means you can precisely correct any errors. This is the method I use to paint canopy frames. B)

For pity's sake though, coat the canopy with Kleer/Future first! :o

nev

Too late!

In the end I ran screaming like a girl from the canopy.   :P  After examing photos of Tornados, you can normally only see the MDC cord from inside the canopy ie an in-cockpit self portrait type shot, or when the canopy is open and viewed from the front.  I couldn't find a single in-flight shot where I could see the cord.  I also examined several shots of built models of this beastie, and I couldn't see the MDC on their planes either - so either they left 'em unpainted, or you just can't see it  :)

Will remember that cocktail stick trick for next time tho  :)