Tank Girl's Vehicles - tank started!

Started by Weaver, July 30, 2010, 06:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Okay, I've decided to stop hi-jacking Cthulhu77's build thread and start a general ideas thread for ways of building Tank Girl's various tanks. If you havn't got a clue who Tank Girl is, then start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank_Girl

There are basically three versions:

Early Comic Version "Scorpion-on-steroids".
Suggested donors (various scaleoramas to model or figure scales):
1/35th Scorpion
1/35th S-tank
1/48th S-tank
1/48th Merkava
1/48th Marder MICV
1/72nd Merkava
1/72nd LVTP Buffalo
1/72nd Marder
1/72nd Type-61 (turret)
M-47 (turret)
1/72nd King Tiger (turret - scaelorama with additions)

Movie Version.
M5 Stuart with car/gun/tat additions. Pictures all over the web.
Scaleorama one and some figure ideas here: http://www.40kimperialguard.co.uk/imperial-guard-tank-girl-theme/

Late Comic Version.
I havn't seen this, but I'm told it's a "funky Abrams/Leopard" style thing.

Cthulhu77 is doing a build of the late comic one here: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php?action=post;topic=29075.0;num_replies=26

I've got a 1/48th Marder on order and am considering a hacked-about 1/72nd King-Tiger turret with extras, the intention being to make something like the early comic version.

This an exaggerated rendering of the early comic book version -the black-and-whites are a bit more sensible:

The whole first cartoon, in B&W, complete with tank, is here: TANK GIRL 1 This is the sort of thing I want to build. Note how, contrary to popular "memory", it doesn't have multiple guns or loads of stickers and paraphenalia.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Weaver

Here's the thinking behind the King Tiger turret mod. TG's tank's turret has a peculiar squarish turret front with a round mantlet and oval side-pods that over lap it. it also has a large overhang/bustle at the rear.

TOP: The original King Tiger turret

MIDDLE:
back half of KT turret turned upside down, new roof added and rear or turret ring built up to match. barrel cut down.

BOTTOM: half drop-tank shapes added to sides of front half and blended with rear half by chamfering the top corners of the latter. Smaller drop-tank halves added to sides of rear half. Perforated muzzle brake added to gun.

Bear in mind that this would be fitted on a 1/48th hull and scaleorama'd to a 25mm (ish) figure.

It isn't "right" to any particular drawing, but then neither is any other drawing. I think it is "in the spirit" though.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Think I've just found a suitable figure in the Reaper Chronoscope range: Gretha the sniper:

With most of her hair removed, I think she'd make a suitable Tank Girl. Don't know if the boots are chunky enough though, so I've ordered another figure with better ones. That way I can do a Frankenstein job if files and Miliput fail me.

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Here's a bit of Paintshop fashion fix:

- Indiana Jones

raafif

lookin' good !

Must get some of those old DML & 40K kits out ... oh yeah ... and finish my Ork LVT battlewagon.
you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

Weaver

Just got a box of 1/35th tank bits off ebay. The Panther wheels should come in handy as the oversized hatches on the TG tank.

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Got one of the two Gretas I ordered, plus a sci-fi weapons set, yesterday. The other Greta and a suitable boot donor are on back-order.

Got a 1/48th Marder MICV today, which is ideal for the tank body.

Also had a look for a cheap Tiger II, but no joy (ebay calls). However, I did sneak a look in the box of a non-cheap Tiggy II, and the turret is not as big as I'd imagined. I still think it's the right way to go, but some more extensive slice'n'dice might be in order......

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Got a 1/72nd King Tiger today, and I think the turret's just a bit too small, unfortunately.  Other than scratchbuilding, I'm a bit at a loss now, to be honest..... :huh:

Also, it looks like the other 1/48th Marder which I bought off ebay has gone missing in the post, which is a pity since I intended to use part of it's suspension and tracks to "bulk up" the ones from the main kit.

- Indiana Jones

Weaver

Now got a 1/48th Tiger II (Academy) off ebay: the only 48th King Tiger I've ever seen. Bit on the large side  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:, but the turret is useable on the Marder hull.

Funny isn't it? You always imaging King Tigers being HUGE, but the hull's about the same size as the Marder's.

- Indiana Jones

Army of One

Weaver.....I'm pretty sure Tamiya do both the Porsche and Henschel turreted versions in 1/48.....think Hobby Master do a metal one....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Weaver

Quote from: Army of One on September 01, 2010, 09:49:26 AM
Weaver.....I'm pretty sure Tamiya do both the Porsche and Henschel turreted versions in 1/48.....think Hobby Master do a metal one....

True, but they're £18 a pop and I've never seen one on ebay. Given that I only want the turret and I want to hack that about royally, the £5 Academy job was a godsend.

- Indiana Jones

jynx

Army of One

Weaver....ooops...never looked at the price....sorry.....£18 is a bit excessive......sounds like you got a bargain...!!!....H
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Weaver

Just started looking at this idea again and found this hilarious video of a radio-controlled Lego one on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idfgj8jEFig&feature=youtu.be

;D ;D ;D

- Indiana Jones

aerofan

Wasn't there a T-55 or BMP or both in the movie too? It's been ages since I saw the movie but the Stuart was made into one funky tank.  :tank: