RAF F-16s

Started by Nick, April 24, 2004, 10:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

The F-16 entered RAF service in the late 1970's the same way as many other NATO countries chose it, it was cheap and could be license-built in the country. Of course, BAe just *had* to muck around with the engines etc... :P
(LS 1/144th scale kit)

Nick

After the Falklands War it was decided that a longer range version of the F-16 was needed for the long endurance patrols above the Soth Atlantic so the F-16XL was trialled from 1985 with great success. In the end all the RAF F-16 squadrons were equipped with the XL variant and BAe somehow managed to get the European contract for converting F-16 to XLs.
(Airfix 1/144th scale kit, note the dodgy undernose outline :o )

Nick

And the F-16XL from the other side.

Craig

Had an idea like that. In my scenario the RAF gets them as a Lightning replacement (to free up Lightnings to give the Red Arrows something with more oomph than the Gnat) by a government that actually spends money on defence. The RAF liked the viper so much that they got more and used them as mud movers in RAFG along with Jags and Tonkas. The RAF version natually enough is known as F-16K or Falcon FA.1 as the initial aircraft were known as proved both poular and unpopular the RAF pilots at the same time: Popular because it was great to fly and unpopular because all the real pilots (Phantom, Jaguar, Harrier pilots) looked down on people who could only fly some crappy little computer run toy plane. (only joking, any F-16 pilots out there.)
Do not despair for Johnny head-in-air,
 He sleeps as sound as Johnny underground.
 Fetch no shroud for Johnny in-the-cloud,
 And keep your tears for him in later years.
 Better by far for Johnny-th-bright-star,
 To keep your head and see his children fed.

Captain Canada

Looking good, Nick !

And I see what you're saying about the XL nose...brutal ! Looks like a bird's beak, or Monty Burns' nose !

:lol:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Martin H

Nice work Nick.

Now were can I find a 72nd scale XL thats affordable
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Aircav

Reminds me of Mr Burns  ;)  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Nick

If anyone can spot the minor flaw in the storyline (clue: check the pics) I'd be very happy if could either forget about it at once ;)  or give me a better story! :)

I think the only 1/72 F-16XL kits were made by Monogram but Kangnam and others did a 1/32 version. See Viper Pit for details of nearly every F-16 kit ever!

Nick B)  

NARSES2

I think the only 1/72 F-16XL kits were made by Monogram but Kangnam and others did a 1/32 version. See Viper Pit for details of nearly every F-16 kit ever!

Nick B)
I think Hasegawa did a 1/72 F16XL - I've got memories of the box art tucked into my brain cells somewhere.

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Keith Diamond

Hmmm... Interesting concept.  Looking good Nick    :f16:  
Man, we should have cloned twenties. Jackson wouldn't have given a poo-poo.