XP-55R Rightender (reversed : canard into normal)

Started by Tophe, July 28, 2010, 09:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

I am going to build the Curtiss XP-55 Ascender (a canard nicknamed ***-ender). This is a MPM 1/72 kit I bought in the 1990s. I am very afraid of the thermoformed canopy, lacking skills to handle it...
Anyway, my project is to reduce the XP-55's span much and change its layout strongly, either with forward swept wing or else : no more canard, turned normal for the wings/tailplanes, and glider, no more pusher.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

Detail of my what-ifing: normal-considered-chosen:

Tophe

Of course, the half-forward swept wing, asymmetrical, has been also considered by my craziness in designing. It is at the end of my asymmetric-aircraft site http://cmeunier.chez-alice.fr/Asymm_addition.htm .
:blink:

TsrJoe

a neat idea christophe, i like the middle one with swept forward wings, very 1940's futuristic, id sweep the wingtips back tho to give almost an M planform, altho the 'conventional configuration looks neat too, i look forward to seeing this one progressing

cheers, joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Caveman

Quote from: TsrJoe on July 29, 2010, 02:17:55 AM
a neat idea christophe, i like the middle one with swept forward wings, very 1940's futuristic, id sweep the wingtips back tho to give almost an M planform.

If I may again nab someone elses idea :)

M wing plan form but with the canard surfaces moved back on top of the vestigial fin/intake in a T-tail style.
secretprojects forum migrant

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Tophe

Quote from: Caveman on July 29, 2010, 05:24:55 AM
with the canard surfaces moved back on top of the vestigial fin/intake in a T-tail style.
:blink: Ho, interesting idea... I may steal it, build it indeed. ©Caveman... :bow:

Caveman

Quote from: Tophe on July 29, 2010, 07:33:12 AM
Quote from: Caveman on July 29, 2010, 05:24:55 AM
with the canard surfaces moved back on top of the vestigial fin/intake in a T-tail style.
:blink: Ho, interesting idea... I may steal it, build it indeed. ©Caveman... :bow:

Please feel free! My ambitions and imagination far exceed my abilities...
secretprojects forum migrant

sequoiaranger

I like that idea. I did one similar to your third drawing with the Japanese Shinden, turning around the fuselage (and the cockpit) to make the Shinden a puller instead of a pusher:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=2235

I kept the swept-back wings and put a "conventional" tail on it. "Knowing" you, Tophe, I wouldn't expect something of such "bland" design for your Ascender.

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Swanny

Looks to be an excellent idea from here. Looking forward to seeing some progress shots.

Tophe

Quote from: sequoiaranger on July 29, 2010, 09:22:29 AM
I like that idea. I did one similar to your third drawing with the Japanese Shinden, turning around the fuselage (and the cockpit) to make the Shinden a puller instead of a pusher:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=2235
I kept the swept-back wings and put a "conventional" tail on it. "Knowing" you, Tophe, I wouldn't expect something of such "bland" design for your Ascender.
Very interesting... for many reasons:
- I had not seen your wonderful J9W and it is great! (I put the Forum directly as favorite link, not the home page nor gallery)
- I understand such a model is fun for an expert like us understanding where it comes from and the amount of work to create it, but you are right: I prefer more crazy shapes, more impossible, I will think again, maybe make a mix with the SAAB J.21.

arkon

wth. took me a second  but i got the turned round again, look. cool
the plastic gods demand sacrifice

Tophe

Quote from: Tophe on July 30, 2010, 10:21:01 PM
maybe make a mix with the SAAB J.21.
In the 1990ies also, I bought a SAAB J.21 kit (Heller 1/72). After changing house 2 times it is still here but a few parts are missing alas (the wind-screen, the port half of the canopy), so... mixing it with the XP-55 (turned twin-boom?) would be a way for these J.21 remaining parts to get a future anyway...

Tophe

The new project is taking shape: sesquiplane XP-55J-21? (XP-55R above, J.21 below)
without pylons, just glued together (as gliders needing no room for propellers)...

Tophe