Ejection Seats

Started by rickshaw, July 25, 2010, 05:47:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

An unusual topic but one which touches on most modern combat aircraft.

Martin Baker have an excellent website where they document thoroughly all their products, including of course their famous line of ejection seats.  Well worth a look!

http://www.martin-baker.com/products.aspx
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Mossie

Yeah, it's very good, I've often used it as a referrence when painting bang seats, or selecting an appropriate one for a whiff.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Even better is to get a job where you GO there!  ;D

I did that for about 15 years, having installed a test system for them in the early 90s. Their site at Denham is knee-deep in bang seats, obviously, and they have versions of most them in a sort of 3D 'library' for use by their Tech Support people. The only problem is cameras are totally banned.  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Desertpilot

You should go to Chalgrove, where they keep the Meteor. I go there about every other month. Jim Martin has two hangers full of "stuff" from the company.

Mossie

Do you have any pics of the Meteors?  I've wanted to build one of the T.71/2's for a while.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

'Flypast Magazine' had a feature on M-B's Meteors about a year ago, with lots of piccies. I've got it of course, but goodness knows where it is in this museum of a house.....
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Mossie

I occasionally pick up Flypast & I'm suprised if I missed that one, although I don't remember picking it up.  I'll have a look through the magazine stash tonight.

This is a good read, 'The Chalgrove Meteors', a pdf with the history & several pics of MB's various Meteors:
http://www.ejectorseats.co.uk/The-Chalgrove-meteors-_2_.pdf

rickshaw

I went looking today at Lunchtime on Evilbay for some new ejection seats for some models I'm working.  Why do some people sell seats in singles, some in doubles and some come with photo-etch, most don't?  Its annoying!   :banghead:

KJ_Lesnick

When was the first American fighter fitted with an ejection seat?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

rickshaw

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on March 03, 2015, 07:23:50 PM
When was the first American fighter fitted with an ejection seat?

I think, Kendra/Robynne you'll find your answer here.   :thumbsup:

KJ_Lesnick

That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Rheged

I think Kit has a cautionary tale about an ejector seat, a lab and a brick wall or two.  Ask nicely and he might tell it, or at least post the link to it.  I'd post the link myself, but I'm using my father's laptop that is slower than continental drift.

MUCH later......read this page as a contribution to the topic
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,37005.msg597623.html#msg597623
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on March 09, 2015, 12:46:19 PM
I think Kit has a cautionary tale about an ejector seat, a lab and a brick wall or two.  Ask nicely and he might tell it, or at least post the link to it.  I'd post the link myself, but I'm using my father's laptop that is slower than continental drift.

MUCH later......read this page as a contribution to the topic
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,37005.msg597623.html#msg597623

Yes, that'll be the one.  :thumbsup:

Fond memories, but I'm glad I don't have to do that stuff any more.

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on March 09, 2015, 12:39:07 PM
F-80

As a side note, as it did not reach service, the XP-54 first flew in 1943.  It had a downward firing system, something to do with a a big old pusher prop behind the cockpit.... :o
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA