And here we go...

Started by Ed S, July 16, 2010, 09:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed S

I'm going to give this a try. I have a lot on the agenda in real life for the next couple weeks, but I'm going to give this a try. 

I'm building a Dornier Do-335 Pfeil as a fast strike fighter.  I'm still undecided on the colors and markings, I have a couple of ideas.  I guess I need to decide in the next day or two, so I can get it painted.  The kit is the old 1/72 Lindberg.  Here is the obligatory box and parts shot.

The kit has very little detail. The cockpit interior consisted of a pilot and a poorly done chair.  So I found some parts in the spares bin and cobbled together an interior.   The kit fit together really well. considering how old it is.  Here is the underside, assembled with some putty.

And here is the upper side, also puttied with a first coat of paint in the cockpit.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Taiidantomcat

Said it before and I will say it again... You are a machine Ed   :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Ed S

PSR is finished (fortunately, there wasn't much).  Here is the underside with paint.  You can see the new pylons under the wings.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Taiidantomcat

Excellent paint. Very smooth  :thumbsup:

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Ed S

Got the basic upper surface painted "sand".  Here's how it looks.  Although, I think the flash on the camera washed out the color.

Tomorrow (Wed) is monthly local IPMS club meeting.  I don't expect to get much done on this tomorrow, so next update will probably be Thursday.

Ed

Ed S

Some progress this evening.  It now has camo.  A couple shots using the flash and a couple without the flash, just for comparison.

Ed

Mossie

JAWS style camo on a Pfeil, great! :ph34r:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Taiidantomcat

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Green Dragon

That's just too good Ed! Looking forward to stealing seeing this finished.  :thumbsup:

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

nev

Wow, there are several really high quality entries this year.  This is one of them :thumbsup:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Weaver

Oh year, that's looking really good - nice one! :thumbsup:

Makes me wonder about a twin-turboprop version proposed by Dornier Gmbh to the US Army COIN requirement in the 1960s.....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

arkon

paint makes me think ww2 italy
the plastic gods demand sacrifice

Ed S

As the Austro-German Republic faltered under weight of the the Roman Empire's onslaught in 1943, many of the top scientists and engineers were able to escape to friendlier places.  Very often they were able to take much of their secret research and plans as well.  Several of the senior Dornier staff ended up at the Helwan Aircraft plant in Egypt. Work started almost immediately on their newly designed fast strike fighter, the Do 335 Pfeil, which later became the HA-135 Anteater.  Available in numbers when the Roman Empire invaded North Africa, they constanly proved the value of the design.  During the Battle of Alexandria, they were directly involved in the defeat of the Imperial Fleet.  This 5th Squadron a/c was credited with 3 direct hits on the destroyer "Venenzia" causing it to sink within hours of the attack.

Ed

Eddie M.

I really digging the whole look of this, especially the paint work. Top notch!!
Look behind you!