Praticallity be darned

Started by Fulcrum, June 30, 2010, 10:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fulcrum

This thread is where people can add silly, unworkable, but "looks-good" ideas.

I have 2 ideas: 1. Jet-powered(inspired by darkmaster) Stealth dirigible, good for reconnaisse & bombing missions.

2. Deck gun on post-WW2 submarines (a 155mm on a Los Angeles class SSN or a 105mm on a Kilo class SSK would look good).
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

Silver Fox

Deck guns on some modern subs might not be a bad idea... I can easily imagine a modern SSK with a Bofors 57mm in a housing similar to the current 'stealth' housing. You coils easily incorporate such a housing NGO the forward or aft part of the sail and only unmask the gun for use. Could be interesting. :)

GTX

Quote from: Silver Fox on June 30, 2010, 11:24:35 PM
Deck guns on some modern subs might not be a bad idea... I can easily imagine a modern SSK with a Bofors 57mm in a housing similar to the current 'stealth' housing. You coils easily incorporate such a housing NGO the forward or aft part of the sail and only unmask the gun for use. Could be interesting. :)

Indeed.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Fulcrum on June 30, 2010, 10:39:53 PM
I have 2 ideas: 1. Jet-powered(inspired by darkmaster) Stealth dirigible, good for reconnaisse & bombing missions.

...... with flight decks on the top, or trapezes underneath to launch and recover their equally stealthy recce or strike aircraft.....  -_-
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Weaver

Not exactly the same thing, but it put me in mind of this GB proposal I made a while back:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,21182.0/highlight,really+bad+ideas.html
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rickshaw

During Konfrontasi, Oberons were re-armed with deck guns for use against Indonesian infiltrators.  Dunno where they found the 5 inch guns and mountings from (knowing the RN they hadn't gotten around the throwing such a useful thing away ;) ).
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

upnorth

F-16 with the intake moved to the top of the fuselage in F-107 style.

The only practicality I can see coming from it is freeing a fair bit more of the underside up for weapons.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

dy031101

Making military-style armoured fighting vehicle out of sports car chassis?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Mossie

Early Lotus Esprits & Lamborghini Countachs might suit that, all angles, possibly the Delorean as well.  Lenny did a Lancia Stratos as a fast strike vehicle a little while back.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Years ago I did a Car Wars car with the body of a Lamborghini Countach and the Vulcan cannon from the 1/32nd Revell Starfighter on the side.... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Cobra

How About a Box Missile Launcher mounted on the Tail of Either a B-52 or an Avro Vulcan Bomber? don't know if it's even been Considered but thought i'd ask. :cheers: :cheers:Dan

dy031101

Quote from: Mossie on July 02, 2010, 06:20:03 AM
Early Lotus Esprits & Lamborghini Countachs might suit that, all angles, possibly the Delorean as well.  Lenny did a Lancia Stratos as a fast strike vehicle a little while back.
Quote from: Weaver on July 02, 2010, 06:31:37 AM
Years ago I did a Car Wars car with the body of a Lamborghini Countach and the Vulcan cannon from the 1/32nd Revell Starfighter on the side.... :wacko:

I'm thinking a lighter version of how truck chassis got turned into armoured cars, which may or may not retain the factory body.  :wacko:

Maybe for internal security use.

Quote from: Cobra on July 02, 2010, 10:56:18 AM
How About a Box Missile Launcher mounted on the Tail of Either a B-52 or an Avro Vulcan Bomber? don't know if it's even been Considered but thought i'd ask. :cheers: :cheers:Dan

There, IIRC, used to be talks on fitting Stinger missiles as a tail armament of a B-52......
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

jcf

Grumman Design 143 Bushfire rear-defense missile system intended for the Martin P6M-2 Seamaster.

jcf

Quote from: dy031101 on July 02, 2010, 11:17:45 AM

I'm thinking a lighter version of how truck chassis got turned into armoured cars, which may or may not retain the factory body.  :wacko:

Maybe for internal security use.

Then you'd be dealing with "old-style" (ladder and tube frame) sports car designs as most went to uni-body designs some time ago. ;)

That said Lancia did sell a platform chassis version of their unibody Aprilia in the '30s, this was similar to the pressed-steel platform
chassis of the Augusta and Astura/Artena. Artena platform chassis were used for military staff/patrol vehicles.

GTX

Quote from: rickshaw on July 01, 2010, 03:56:06 AM

During Konfrontasi, Oberons were re-armed with deck guns for use against Indonesian infiltrators.  Dunno where they found the 5 inch guns and mountings from (knowing the RN they hadn't gotten around the throwing such a useful thing away ;) ).

Any pics?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!