A lil late . . . the Black Brant

Started by Shasper, June 28, 2010, 01:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shasper

Hiya Guys,

One of the latest projects on my desk is this Lindberg 1/whatever Victor kit that I started as a Black Buck systems test bird that was used as a support bird during the Falklands war. This one got started around the same time as the Falklands GB was going on (07, right?), but somehow never got finished . . . Looks like its time has finally come!

As it sits right now.

And the underside. The slipper tanks are from one of our resident English Chaps who snipped 'em off a 72nd Bucc iirc. Looking to finish this one in the standard BB camo.

Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

hurricanemk1c

Oooh - a Victor! I love V-Bombers(tankers)!

Howard of Effingham

hello shasper!

it was me that sent you those buccaneer fuel tanks and it was a LONG time ago.

never mind! i'll be following this one with interest.

trevor
Keeper of George the Cat.

Shasper

Thanks again for that Trev!

Got the other wing put on, now to sand the putty down, prime and paint!
- Bud S.

Shasper

As she sits right now . . . I've turned off my JMN mode for the paint job as it'll be standard gray/green on top, however the underside will be a little more creative than a sub for EDSG ;)
- Bud S.

Shasper

First "Draft" of the camo from yesterday:

- Bud S.

hurricanemk1c

Shasper

Thanks Hurri! Trying to give it a well-worn look ;)

Decals & weathering are on, now to get all the fidgety bit on:

- Bud S.

hurricanemk1c

Shasper

Thx Hurri!

Finally finished:

In retrospect I might've over weathered it just a tad, but I'm happy with it

Story is that this bird is a B.1 used for test & evaluation of several ideas that could be used on the operational fleet. At one time it tested the "Küchemann carrot" pods and the Conway engines that were fitted to the production B.2s, as well as several designs for the underwing slipper tanks and the initial underwing fit for the refueling HDU pods.

While primarily used to test stuff for the RAF Victor fleet, the aircraft was used to test equipment for other projects. Because of the secretive nature of the various programs it was involved in, the aircraft acquired the nickname "Black Brant" from it's various crews. The aircraft was in the middle of testing new equipment for the Vulcan fleet (some of which was fitted for the Black Buck raids) when war erupted in the South Atlantic. During the build-up for Operation Corporate, the Brant was relocated to Ascension Island and used in support of both the Black Buck raids, and Operation Piranha .
- Bud S.

hurricanemk1c