Elegant Phantom 1/48

Started by G.Marcat, June 27, 2010, 12:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G.Marcat

The my brain has developed another What If model.

The subject on which I will work is the Phantom.     Scale is 1/48.

I called this project "ELEGANT PHANTOM" because the F-4 around the world has taken the nickname of RHINO thank to the his brutal look.

If my imagination is working well, the name RHINO should no longer be applicable to my PHANTOM.

This is a preliminary design of how I'm going to change the look of the PHANTOM:

Looking at my preparatory drawing seems to me to see my ghost might look similar (at very distant) to the F-14 Tomcat.
Overall, I thought well if the model should have a shape very very "wavy"

Technically, the only hard work should be to relocate up the wings from the their normal lower position.

But I have done this with another my Phantom whatif  and I know where to put the hands. If all goes well there should be no problems.
I made three different designs to see how the model get better but also because I have several kits of Phantom stock: at this time I'm trying to see which model I can start.

Weaver

Intriguing - it does look Tomcatish, doesn't it?

How do the engine nozzles/tail surfaces work? F-15-style booms outboard of them?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

G.Marcat

Quote from: Weaver on June 27, 2010, 01:05:22 PM
How do the engine nozzles/tail surfaces work? F-15-style booms outboard of them?

You have revealed that I would to keep secret:  :banghead: :banghead: the central fuselage will be taken from the F-15.

I will take a F-15's core adding to it all the pieces (wings, tailplanes, front fuselage, air intakes empennages) from the Phantom.

UPDATE:

The first kit chosen as the basis for Elegant Phantom was the F-4G Wild Weasel 1/48 from Testors.

Just opened the box and picked up the pieces I realized that the choice was wrong.

Testors kit is molded with a plastic that appears to be mixed with the rubber.

The photos that I enclose show  the demential level of flexibility that has the plastic from Testors.

G.Marcat

The air intakes on the ESCI kit are full of sink marks.

However, they are assembled now:

Then assembled also the wings halves. After this operation I have closed the wheels holes on the wings with plasticard.

The fins locate at the ends of the two wings have been reduced in angle. Now they are no longer high in angle as before.

sotoolslinger

Great Project :thumbsup: should be gorgeous :party:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

G.Marcat

Quote from: sotoolslinger on June 29, 2010, 11:17:45 AM
Great Project :thumbsup: should be gorgeous :party:

Will see the results, hope of to do something of good.

WORK of today:
The my problem was how to obtain two vertical empennages from the single empennage of the Esci's Phantom?
At the first I was tempted to copy the complete assembled empennage with the syliconic gum and the resin but this is time consuming. so choosen this solution:

First: cut away the original tail pieces.... (the more clean possible)

Now on the two half empennages glued a sheet of plasticard on the blind side and shaped this added sheet on the corners and scribed the added surfaces to resemble the panel lines on the "good face".
at the end, voilĂ : two empennages from one piece:

arkon

nice, cant wait to see more
the plastic gods demand sacrifice

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

ysi_maniac

I think that this project is going to be a winner. Love your design! :wub: :thumbsup:
Will die without understanding this world.

Taiidantomcat

Have you thought about leaving the regular F-4 splitter style intakes off in favor of the F-15 style? I think it adds a real elegance. The Russians changed them on the Backfire:

F-4 style ^

F-15^ style

plus you don't have to worry about those sink marks  :banghead:

:cheers:

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

G.Marcat

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on June 29, 2010, 08:43:59 PM
Have you thought about leaving the regular F-4 splitter style intakes off in favor of the F-15 style? I think it adds a real elegance. The Russians changed them on the Backfire:***Plus you don't have to worry about those sink marks  :banghead:
:cheers:

See, the problem is that I want to leave my ELEGANT PHANTOM the greatest possible number of original pieces from the Phantom.
Furthermore, the my Phantom will have J-79 engines as the original air intakes will not be out of place.

Taiidantomcat

I understand. Look forward to seeing more  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Tophe

Quote from: G.Marcat on June 27, 2010, 12:52:52 PM
This is a preliminary design of how I'm going to change the look of the PHANTOM:
I love the new nose :wub: . As design, while I am ready to appreciate the model as well. ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

G.Marcat

Working to satisfy the reader's expectations:

Today assembled the fuselage of F-15C Academy 1/48:

Separated the two wings from the wing assembly of the Phantom:

Prepared also the two Phantom's horizontal taiplanes for the installation in the F-15 rear fuselage.

arkon

keep as much f-4 as you can. f-15 intakes look boreing, no shape to them other than a box .
the plastic gods demand sacrifice