Kitech kits - any good?

Started by rickshaw, June 26, 2010, 06:36:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Are kitech kits from China any good or just rubbish?  They seem incredibly cheap compared to other manufacturers' offerings and I'm wondering if its just a case of "you get what you pay for"?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Green Dragon

Knock off's of other companies moulds that rarely fit together well in my experience but a cheap source of spares and I have seen some built pretty well with some good Putty-Fu.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Steel Penguin

if the molds are new, there fairly good for "wargames" quality, ( at 2 for £5 they were a dammed bargin) they do run the mold to death and some of the recent challys ive got are very flashy, You do get what you par for, but the price/quality ratio is very much users choice.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Geoff

A good source of spares and bits.

puddingwrestler

You may occasioalyy see the word 'Zhengdefu' used as a threat on this forum. Kitech is just a different name for that infamous brand. Chinese knock-offs, but they come in the mightiest of corrugated cardboard boxes! I particularly love thier box art. It consists of taking the original kit's box art, cropping it down so there are no pesky logos or any of the text from the original, and then slapping thier own text and logo on.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

The Wooksta!

i bought a few some years back as parts donors but never built any.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

anthonyp

I've got the Kitech MH-53E (which is definitely a clone) and their AH-1Z.  Haven't opened the Viper Cobra yet.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Geoff

-I tried to build there Mig-31, the fit of the parts was "challenging".

chrisonord

The SHADO retriever I built a while back started life as a 1/48th scale Arado Blitz. Lets just say it was adequate, for the purpose. I have a f-16 and an F-14 of theirs in the stash too which I am sure will get the dremel razor saw treatment too  :wacko:
Like everyone says they are cheap, slightly cheerful but shouldn't make you think twice about hacking them up.
Go for it and buy some.
Chris. 
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!