WhIf WIP's from Holland

Started by Sturmbock, June 14, 2010, 04:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sturmbock

Last week Mies (Beanflick) and me got together for our regular polystyrene party, and we decided to take some pics of works in progress. No idea when they actually will be finished, but for now: enjoy!

What I usually do is; take an unorthodox plane design, and then try to emulate that with some old plane parts parts I have. Often, the result is quite different from the original idea. Here is something I loosely based on the Luft '46 BMW Strahljäger Projekt 1. I used Spitfire I, Lockheed Lightning and Arado 234 parts.

This thing is based on the Blohm & Voss P170 and slapped together from Hotspur Glider parts, Lancaster engines and Aichi Val tailplanes. I swept the wings for extra coolness.

This Messerschmitt flying wing bomber is basically the wing of a Me 323 Gigant with a Martin B-26 fuselage and a butterfly tail from F-16 wings. It still needs loads of flaps, engines, turrets, etc, etc..

One of currently two alternative WW1 1/48th scale projects (The other is a push-prop attack biplane, and the rest is alt. WW2 1/72nd) this started out as an Albatros D.III and has to become a motorjet-engined WW1 jet fighter. While building this I realised this design would be far too hazardous (especially with the cockpit that close to the jet efflux) to even test in real life, although Henri Coandă actually did this, which proves that fact is sometimes stranger than fiction..

My fourth Lancaster engine, Lockheed Lightning wings and Stuka canopy went onto this old Fairey Delta 2 model to create a Payen-esque.. thing.. Still needs a vertical tail though.

Greets,
Luka

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

The Rat

I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say quit wasting time on this forum and get back to the bench quickly, because WE WANT MORE!  :thumbsup: Those look incredible!  :cheers:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Sauragnmon

Those are some pretty wicked planes, very cool looking.  Looking forward to seeing more.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

oliv30330

Cobra

Super Cool Stuff :thumbsup: :thumbsup: a few of your Projects look like something from the Game 'Crimson Skies'! hope to see More Awesome Stuff :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheers:Dan

Howard of Effingham

brilliant stuff especially that based on the blohm and voss P170!  :thumbsup:
Keeper of George the Cat.

sequoiaranger

These whatevers-they-are show some good "whiff" thinking.

"Flesh" them out, dress them up, and show us the results!!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Tophe

Wonderful :thumbsup: (thanks for sharing)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

JoeP

The last one looks like an aircraft from a very early Superman comic, one of the very earliest appearances of the villain who would become known as Lex Luthor.

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Sturmbock

Some small updates. My progress is usually very slow as I spend a lot of our 'styrene sessions' eating roti, digging through spares boxes and simulating dogfights while trying to hold two semi-assembled models together in each hand.

During one of mentioned dogfights, this plane's controls were damaged and it crashed into the ground (it sounds more spectacular than: "I accidently dropped it"). I glued it back together and while I was at it, I made a modification to the tail (I never really liked the first version anyway). I cut up some Me 262 parts to achieve an A-10 look.

Added fins to the outer engine nacelles and canopy fittings.

I also dry-fitted some parts on the Payen-clone to see what might look cool (actually this is the most fun part for me). The words "Flying Kaiten" went through my head, so maybe that's gonna be the main inspiration for this project.

Enjoy!

Taiidantomcat

Looking great!  :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing your progress
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Beanflick

Stop stealing my thunder with the A10 inspired axis planes, fiend! :lol:
And I was there during the crash ... it was quite dramatic.