U.S.M.C. F/A-22 Raptor

Started by chrisonord, June 01, 2010, 07:41:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

This is one of the 3 USMC/Navy F-22's I will be building, all of which will be part of the same air wing. The decals are the F-18 Flying Leathernecks ones that ChrisF very kindly sent to me, and being low vis, you can't really see them that much  :lol:
The aircraft is loaded out with a compliment of 6 Aim-120's internally, 2 Aim-9's internally 2 drop tanks and a pair of SLAM missiles. The other F-22's will be armed with HARM's, Rockeyes, mavericks, and or JDAM's/LGB's for the SEAD mission.

The kit is the Italeri 1/72nd scale one, and was a pig to build as the upper fuselage did not want to go together properly and one of the rear landing gear wells came unstuck and would not go back into its correct place. I also lost a lot of detail around the front of the main weapons bay trying to get it all to line up properly. I just hope the other Italeri(YF-22 Lightning II) version I have goes together better, and the Revell version.
Cheers,
Chris. 
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

beowulf

looking good.............nice paint work  :thumbsup:
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Cliffy B

Awesome!!!  You don't often see a Raptor in USMC livery, keep it up man  :thumbsup:
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

Taiidantomcat

Oh thats hot!  :wub: Great camo!! I have to ask- What colors did you use? Its really unique looking and yet plausable  :bow:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

chrisonord

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on June 01, 2010, 08:44:14 AM
Oh thats hot!  :wub: Great camo!! I have to ask- What colors did you use? Its really unique looking and yet plausable  :bow:
The colours I used are light blue, medium blue, sky grey and dark grey all Tamiya acrylics.
Cheers,
Chris.

Ed S

Looks good.  Liking the camo.  Too bad the Navy would never let the Marines have any.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

frank2056

The camo on your F-22 looks great! Where did you get the Marines decal? They seem to match the camo colors.

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

chrisonord

Quote from: frank2056 on June 01, 2010, 06:42:00 PM
The camo on your F-22 looks great! Where did you get the Marines decal? They seem to match the camo colors.
Hya Frank,
I got the decals from ChrisF a forum member, they are F-18 decals, I think they were ESCI ones.
Cheers,
Chris.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

G.Marcat

A very nice choice of colors: excellent work.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

:thumbsup: Very nice colour combination, Chris, excellent work.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Joe C-P

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Cobra

Super Cool :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Tell me why i think 'TOP GUN' when i see this Plane? You did a Great Job :cheers: :cheers:Dan

chrisonord

Quote from: JoeP on June 09, 2010, 07:23:15 PM
Is this carrier-based?

:party:  :thumbsup:
Hya Joe,
The raptor has been built to be used either on land or on a carrier, I have made the kit with its arrestor hook out too.
Thanks for the comments Cobra, I appreciate it.
Coming soon......USMC OV-10M, 2 seater A-10, observer/CAS aircraft.
Cheers,
Chris.