Spur of the moment project - F-16 with "Tiger" scheme

Started by mchoo2005, May 31, 2010, 05:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mchoo2005

Howdy all! I think it's official... I've gone CRAZY!  :blink:

As I was researching for some unusual scheme for my EF-2000 rebuild project (see: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,28491.0.html), I saw some pics on Airliners.net of military aircrafts with some very interesting colour scheme. I wanted to try some of those schemes, but need another subject. Then, I found myself staring at one of my unfortunate victims for my experiment: Italeri 1/72 F-16C/D Night Falcon. Possibly the crappiest 72nd scale F-16.

The last experiment I did on this plane was testing "Milliput", which is a 2-part epoxy putty that can be sculpted etc. Now, I haven't used Aves' Apoxie Sculpt, but from reading the product description, these two products sound identical. Similar to Apoxie Sculpt, Milliput can also be sculpted and took 2-3 hours at room temp to fully cure into rock-hard putty that can be sanded and painted.

Anyway... there I was staring at this sorry little thing looking like patchwork quilt of Milliput, and a 6mm drilled hole underneath (just behind the main wheel wells). So, I decided to use this crappy kit to test one scheme that I thought out myself, by combining two different schemes that I saw on the 'Net.

Here are a couple of pics showing my progress thus far.

Initially, I wanted to paint the whole aircraft with orange basecoat, plus tiger stripes, until I saw this: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Netherlands---Air/Fokker-F-16AM-Fighting/1707218/L/&sid=195a4f79df2ab3afe19497ff8ce3dc0b. I immediately thought: THAT'S IT!!!

The following list the paints that I used on this aircraft:
- Orange - approx. 50:50 combination of Tamiya X-7 (Gloss Red) and Tamiya XF-3 (Flat Yellow)
- Black - Tamiya X-18 (Semi Gloss Black)
- Stripes - GSI Mr Metal Color Dark Iron
- Exhaust - GSI Mr Metal Color Stainless

I used Blu Tack for masking

Up next, oil wash to highlight panel lines.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Swanny

mchoo2005

Thanks all for the positive comments/feedback!   :thumbsup:

Decided to finish off this side project last night. Made another spur of the moment decision: lightning pattern on vert stab and the nose. Created paper mask, then airbrushed Tamiya XF-3 (Flat Yellow) over. I didn't quite mask properly, resulting in overspray. Oh well... :P

Now it's time to concentrate on the other projects....   :cheers:

Cobra

Very Cool :thumbsup: it has an 'Iron Eagle' feel to it! Great Paint & Markings Job :thumbsup: Keep up the Great Work :cheers: :cheers:Dan

NARSES2

"Spur of the moment" he say's  ;D I could spend weeks and not get a finish like that  :banghead:  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

mchoo2005

Thanks all for the compliments! You guys are way too kind!  :cheers:

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Taiidantomcat

:wub: Excellent work... I wish i could just knock something that nice out "spur of the moment"  :o
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

lancer

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 06, 2010, 02:07:25 AM
"Spur of the moment" he say's  ;D I could spend weeks and not get a finish like that  :banghead:  :thumbsup:

I feel the same way. don't ya just hate these people??? Bloody smart aarses the lot of them  *mutter mutter mutter* :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

Seriously though great work and combining the two schemes was inspired. I may want to 'borrow' that scheme sometime
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

mchoo2005

:lol: Obviously I'm in the right forum! You lot aren't nit-pickers!  :thumbsup: I was once in another forum, where pretty much ALL members are bloody nit-pickers! Darned JMNs!

NARSES2

Quote from: mchoo2005 on June 08, 2010, 03:34:34 PM
:lol: Obviously I'm in the right forum! You lot aren't nit-pickers!  :thumbsup: I was once in another forum, where pretty much ALL members are bloody nit-pickers! Darned JMNs!

You definately are. The main thing about this group is that we ENJOY our modelling  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

mchoo2005

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 09, 2010, 04:03:16 AM
You definately are. The main thing about this group is that we ENJOY our modelling  :thumbsup:

Amen, brother!  :thumbsup:  :cheers:

philp

Definitely good practice for the Tiger Meet Group Build (that didn't get picked  :banghead:).
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies