What's Green, Tan, & Brown, and REALLY hates SAMs?

Started by Keith Diamond, May 30, 2010, 03:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Diamond

An inprogress Israeli A-7I

Here's the unfinished jet sitting on its eventual base.  Just have to paint the light gray on the bottom before I can get to the glosscoate and decaling.  You'll see some added lumps and bumps to the airframe, including some leftover Monogram A-10 chaff/flare dispensers on the empenage.

Here's some of the weapons.  You can see the pylons, 4 AGM-88s, and 2 AIM-9s.  But in the back you can partially see the fuel tanks.  Instead of the standard A-7 tanks, I'm using some leftover Monogram A-10 tanks for an increased fuel load.  Also, not pictured are a pair of AIM-120s and an HTS pod.  The -120s, HTS pod and AGM-88s are all from Hasegawa F-16CJ kits.  For the all A-7 fans out there, yeah, I'm adding a couple of underwing pylons.  Also, I'm experimenting with detachable weapons pylons similar to the ones described in this article Modeling Madness

I'm having airbrush issues, so even though I'm 90% done, I don't have an estimated time of completion.

Man, we should have cloned twenties. Jackson wouldn't have given a poo-poo.

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

G.Marcat

A good choice: the Israeli's camo look great on every aircraft, and you did a good work.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

D*mn how did I miss this one !

A-7's tick all the boxes for me; superb at what they do/did cute in an ugly sort of way, and (almost) endless What-Iffing potential  :thumbsup:

Excellent ides and work so far. Will be keeping very close watch on this one, Keith.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Zeke

It's a big, wide world out there...so if it's all the same to you I'll just stay indoors!

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Keith Diamond

Thanks for the comments guys! Especially on the paint scheme since I was constantly banging my head against the wall due to my Aztec airbrush's inconsistent performance.  I should be receiving my new Iwata in the mail any day now though!

Near the finish line.  Just have to install the gear, finish up the tarmac and a few odds and ends and it should be done.  Might be able to finish in the next hour really.  But since its late in the evening, I won't have finished pictures til later.  But here's what I have so far.

ChernayaAkula

Whoa, nice!  :o The Corsair look right at home in those colours.  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Cliffy B

Israeli camo is just like SEA camo, no matter what aircraft you paint its automatically awesome!  Great job man, can't wait to see it finished  :thumbsup: :cheers:
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

nev

Looks great in the uber-cool Scorpion markings 8)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Keith Diamond

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Quote from: nev on June 07, 2010, 09:37:21 AM
Looks great in the uber-cool Scorpion markings 8)

Glad you like the choice of markings.  I was just afraid IDF Scorpion markings might be overdone by now.

Well, she's complete.  She's really a mixed bag of kits.

Decals are from Eagle Strike
AGM-88s, HTS pod, AIM-120s, and AIM-9 rails are from the Hasegawa F-16CJ kit
AIM-9s from either the Academy F-15 or F-16 (forgot which one)
Missile stencils from Twobobs (PITA to apply)
Chaff/Flare buckets and fuel tanks from the Monogram A-10
Cockpit tub is from the True Details F-8 kit (dog ate the original!), while the dash is from the kit, and the seat is from the True Details F-4 cockpit (complete trash.)  It's a whif, so I knew I could get away with a lot in the cockpit.
Pro Modeler wash was used on the aircraft and the base.

Enjoy!

At the last minute I added a 1/48 scale Sports Illustrated magazine with Bar Rafaeli on the cover. ;D

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

ChernayaAkula

Really, really nice!  :thumbsup: The Sports Illustrated is a neat touch.  ;D

Quote from: Keith Diamond on May 30, 2010, 03:56:17 PM
What's Green, Tan, & Brown, and REALLY hates SAMs?  

Cole. Virgil Cole.

"Look, man. I hate SAMs. I get all worked up just thinking about them."
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Taiidantomcat

Great intruder reference!  :ph34r:

Aweome model Keith! I love the loadout and squadron markings. I think the black nose goes great with those vivid colors  :bow:

...I have to ask what did you use for Isreali green?  :huh:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.