Aircraft camoflage netting

Started by GTX, May 29, 2010, 04:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Hi folks,

I'm looking for recommendations on how to model aircraft camoflage netting such as shown below.  I'm mainly interested in 1/48 scale.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

jcf

ChernayaAkula

Tulle netting? Mosquito nets? Gauze bandages?
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

upnorth

I've seen people get respectable results using netting of the sort used for bridal veils.

Chech out a fabric shop, I think you can get it in a few different sizes so you might find something suitable fo1/48. I'm not sure what colours you can get it in, but from what I've seen, it seems to take paint well.

The important thing is that it hasa fairly consistent pattern in it likea net would. I've seen people use cheese cloth and gause bandages and I never found it very convincing.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

rickshaw

I've always used gauze bandages.  Admittedly that was for 1/76 scale wargaming use.  I used to soak them in a very weak water and paint mixture to dye the gauze.  They tended to be a little overscale for 1/76 but perhaps the best I could find.  I usually had them rolled up on the side of vehicles.

I recently read a suggestion (can't remember where) of dipping them in white glue and then spreading tea-leaves over them (I assume unused, fresh ones) and then once dry, gently painting them.  That might make them better for 1/48 scale.

I'm also aware of some cam nets available in Photo-Etch but I am unsure how well that would work.

I am yet though, to see a super-realistic representation of the plastic, modern barracuda nets.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

GTX

Has anyone tried any of the Echelon Fine Details 1/35 netting:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

LemonJello

I may have to pick some of this up, so many possible uses...
The Corps is a department of the Navy? Yeah, the Men's department.

frank2056

I'll second the tulle. The net over the 109 looks like giant tulle. The stuff is dirt cheap and it comes in many different hole densities/sizes.

rickshaw

Quote from: frank2056 on June 11, 2010, 08:45:17 PM
I'll second the tulle. The net over the 109 looks like giant tulle. The stuff is dirt cheap and it comes in many different hole densities/sizes.

Isn't Tulle rather stiff?  It won't drape particularly well IMO. The Echelon stuff looks pretty good for modern netting but would need to have some form of camouflage pattern on it for temperate forested use.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

matrixone

Today my ''Splitter Schutzbox'' (Camouflaged Field Hanger) kit arrived, the kit comes with some camouflage netting that looks almost the netting seen in the pic of the Bf 109 at the top of this thread. The kit is made by Busch and is intended to be used for 1/87 or 1/72 scale models but the netting itself could be made to work with 1/48 scale if needed.
The downside to the idea for using the Splitter Schutzbox kit is the price...it cost me $27.00 and it is not very big.

Matrixone