BoB cartoon

Started by philp, May 18, 2010, 08:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

So I posted a query looking or a book about the Battle of Britain I used to check out of the Base Library in Duluth back in 1970 but no one could come up with it.  Today, a little searching online found the cartoon I remembered from the book.

Still don't know which book it was in but would make an interesting dio.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Captain Canada

Haha, that's pretty funny.  Reminds me of the time this guy told us a well was " by the lane where the big tree used to be "

:blink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

puddingwrestler

The first episode of 'Sea Change' features Kevin giving directions along the lines of "Oh, yeah, turn left at Robbos shed, then go on to the old tree... oh no, that got hit with a meteor a few years ago... then turn left and go on until you see the church. Oh, wait, that got ewashed away in the floods. Then it's next left past the place where John knocked Fred out in '77" to a city lawyer who is moving to the small town of Pearl Bay to become magistrate.

Pearl Bay was not so accident prone during the actual show, apart from the night the toilet block blew up.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Weaver

Nice find! :thumbsup:

I used to be despatch rider and I grew to dread having to ask directions from the general public:

"Turn left at the chip shop" (The "landmark" turns out to be a grass square where the chip shop used to be before it got bombed in WWII....)

"Go down the New Road" (The one built in 1967...)

"Next door to Harry's Newsagent shop" (The one that doesn't say "Harry's" anywhere on the building because Harry sold out to a big chain ten years ago....)

"Take the fourth right" (That'd be the fourth significant "right", i.e. ignoring the four unmentioned ones in between the first three that don't count because the "navigator" never goes down them or thinks about them....)

"At the end of that road and behind the factory" (which of the dozen factories in the industrial estate at the end of this road would that be then?)

:banghead:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Whilst driving in Ireland with a girlfriend we stopped to ask directions and were told "----- then drive on to the last bridge, turn left and you are there". We drove off and it took at least 20 mins for both of us to say "how the heck do we know it's the last bridge" Still don't know if it was a case of pure "paddy" or just having the tourists on  :banghead: ;D ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

I find the best way to navigate is by pubs:

"You know where James Street is?"
"Erm..."
"The duck pond?"
"No..."
"Go past the Nags Head, turn next right, second left after the Hare & Hounds, if you go past The Ship you've gone too far"
"Well, why didn't you say, been in them all!!!"
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

puddingwrestler

Doesn't work where I live, there are 5500 people in the town, but only two pubs - right next to each other!

chrisonord

Quote from: puddingwrestler on May 19, 2010, 03:18:49 PM
Doesn't work where I live, there are 5500 people in the town, but only two pubs - right next to each other!
I take it pub crawls get a bit boring then? ;D
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Mossie

Quote from: puddingwrestler on May 19, 2010, 03:18:49 PM

Heh, a village next to where I live has about 800 people living there & three pubs!  No shop there any more, people just spend their time in the pub, you would if you lived there!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

thedarkmaster

I used to live in Mansfield, when i was a teenager and that had around 50,000 inhabitants and over 150 pubs, so the pub crawls where fantastic  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

puddingwrestler

One of my friends always says she worries about the town because it has more churches than pubs...

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on May 19, 2010, 08:57:03 AM
I find the best way to navigate is by pubs:

"You know where James Street is?"
"Erm..."
"The duck pond?"
"No..."
"Go past the Nags Head, turn next right, second left after the Hare & Hounds, if you go past The Ship you've gone too far"
"Well, why didn't you say, been in them all!!!"

Nowadyas round here it's probably easier to give directions via building societies...more of them about then pubs now  :banghead:  :angry:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

philp

Quote from: puddingwrestler on May 20, 2010, 04:07:18 AM
One of my friends always says she worries about the town because it has more churches than pubs...

Here in the land of Zion, easier to navigate by churches which seem to be on almost every corner where bars are more located in several sections of the Big City.

I also find it fascinating that we can start with a Battle of Britain cartoon and get to Pub Crawls in less than one page :drink:
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

ChrisF

I remember a road trip around scotland with my father some years ago when we were looking for a b&B near elgin... Which had been described as right next to "duffus castle" no matter how much driving around the area we did there was no sign of a castle... So thinking we must clearly be thick, we asked a local... First mistake. The local appeared to be a scottish version of the fast shows rowley birkin qc.. And despite me being a jock and my dad having lived there for some years the only words we could understand were "Duffus", " castle" and "aye" which seemed to be repeated at random....

Eventually we found the B&B by complete mistake, asked about this "castle" only to find there had been no such castle since the 1600's and all that was left were a pile of stones in a field....