IAF Me 262

Started by PACOPEPE, May 11, 2010, 11:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PACOPEPE

Avia S 92. Ezer Weizman, commander of 101 Squadron of IAF. Hertzeliya, Israel; summer of 1948.

GTX

Well done - I think the wingtip missiles might be a tad pre-mature for '48.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

pyro-manic

Sharp! I like the tail stripes. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Swanny

Isn't it ironic how these pieces of technology end up where they do? This as a whiff is great but specifically things like the S-199 Mule (Dagger). Nazi developed weapons protecting the Jewish state  ;D Not trying to make any kind of political statement here, just an observation.

PACOPEPE

Quote from: Swanny on May 12, 2010, 06:53:08 AM
Isn't it ironic how these pieces of technology end up where they do? This as a whiff is great but specifically things like the S-199 Mule (Dagger). Nazi developed weapons protecting the Jewish state  ;D Not trying to make any kind of political statement here, just an observation.
Dear Swanny:
There isn´t any political statement here. Exactly, it´s just a whiff, like the S-199, like you´ve said yourself. Israelis bought them to czechoslovak. Do you think perhaps that israelis unaware of their german origin?. Do you believe that israelis could have bought S 92, had not done?.
How many aircrafts/projects made in a country, were used/developed by his enemies?, and of these, how many appear on this forum?.

All the best
Fran

Green Dragon

Nice one Fran, very feasible that the Israeli's could buy S.92's if the Czech's kept making them but they moved onto license building more advanced Yaks and MiGs. Yugoslavia was interested in buying some S.92's IIRC.
I was thinking of doing an Israeli one but with Ruhrstahl X-4 missiles.

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Swanny

I am certain the Israelis were very aware of their origins but were none the less very happy to have any weapon that could be used to defend themselves. I just find it ironic that something developed and used by a regime that oppressed the Jews was ultimately used to save the newborn Jewish nation. I modeled the S-199 a few years ago and think that your build is a very plausible build. If these jets had been available to the arms buyers of the day they probably would have jumped at the opportunity to pick up a couple dozen. I know that when they acquired the S-199s they were also trying to get hold of some US P-51s.

philp

Thought my backstory was pretty plausible but knew I should have added the striped rudder.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal4/3101-3200/Gal3110_S-92_Peterson/00.shtm
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

PACOPEPE

Quote from: philp on May 12, 2010, 12:43:49 PM
Thought my backstory was pretty plausible but knew I should have added the striped rudder.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal4/3101-3200/Gal3110_S-92_Peterson/00.shtm
Very interesting your backstory. Is it real?; when do you obtained it?.

I like very much the idea. Why did you choose overall grey for your IAF Avia S 92?.

I´ve seen an IAF P-51 on your gallery of pics (very good collection). It has the same scheme than my kit.

Regards
Fran

Mossie

Very nice! :thumbsup:  There were some rumours that Israel did acquire Me-262's, or at least tried to, but they probably were just that.  Like Swanny says, I think the Israelis were very aware of the origin of their Avia S.199's & would have been of the Me.262/Avia S.92.  They needed equipment quickly & weren't too worried about were it came from (or how they got it).
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

philp

Quote from: PACOPEPE on May 13, 2010, 12:27:34 AM
Quote from: philp on May 12, 2010, 12:43:49 PM

Very interesting your backstory. Is it real?; when do you obtained it?.

I like very much the idea. Why did you choose overall grey for your IAF Avia S 92?.

I´ve seen an IAF P-51 on your gallery of pics (very good collection). It has the same scheme than my kit.

Regards
Fran

Fran,
Backstory is all my creation, based on how they acquired the S.199s.  The idea just popped into my head one day and I just had to do it.  This was my first "true" whiff and I still get the odd email asking where I got my info.

I picked the grey scheme that the S.199s flew in.  It is also the scheme that the Czechs painted their S.92s.  I had planned to add th striped rudder of the 1st Fighter Squadron but had a contest deadline and never got back to it.  Figured the Israeli's were too busy just trying to get things flying to worry about the camo.  The P-51 camo you mention was used on their aircraft in the 1956 conflict.  They weren't able to obtain any Mustangs in '47-'48.  I have a bunch of books on the Israeli Armed Forces as they are one of my favorites for Air and Armor.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

PACOPEPE

Phil;

Congratulations for your imagination, but for being a knowledgeable modeler too. For this, i imagine that you´ll like the following pics of the pages i´ve of the decals of first IAF aricraft (Sky decals).

There were IAF P-51 in 1948!.

Fran

philp

Fran,
Looks like you learn something everyday.  None of the books I have mention the earlier Mustangs from the US and Sweden.  Course, they are a few years old.  So I did a little Googling and found all kinds of stuff on their use in '48.

Course, they were all in NMF  :wacko:
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies