Exotic Aircraft Propulsion Scheme

Started by dy031101, May 03, 2010, 08:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dy031101

Potential long-term bucket list entry here, but I think I'll try asking for some input now anyway.

Inspired by ElectrikBlue's Griffon III, I'm thinking of a variation, maybe set up in a parallel world where development of afterburners ran into snags or an alternative aviation fuel was adopted.

I'm having a hard time making a choice though.  Under the same theme I've already made a ramjet Typhoon and a coal-fired Eagle, and planned a jet-rocket scheme for my take on the Avro 729...... what else do I still have left for this?

Or maybe I can still use the turbo-ramjet scheme but place the engines differently from the scheme of the ramjet Typhoon in order to better suit the smaller fuselage of ElectrikBlue's base design...... can anyone make a suggestion, if this should prove interesting enough?

Thanks in advance.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Radish

I like the idea of coal power,and in fact begain a 1/48th F-4C Phantom years ago for a "Coal-Powered" Phantom of the Great Western Railway. I'd even bought the stokers and cut out the top of the fuselage. I lost interest though and it was binned in a clear out.

There's always aether-screw power though, the sort I use on aerial warships, steam yachts, etc....I might build something with a big screw.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Hobbes

You could install a fan driven by a piston engine.

Nuclear power is also possible, but unrealistic in a small aircraft. Unless you postulate a design that also includes electromagnetic shielding.

The Rat

Quote from: Hobbes on May 05, 2010, 05:26:17 AMYou could install a fan driven by a piston engine.

There's an idea I've toyed with, as in 'what if the concept behind the Caproni Campini N.1 had worked?'

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

lenny100

coal fired is not that far away, back in the 1920 here in seaham there was a plant wich turned coal into oil but it was a low grade stuff that at the time was of little use, but a simmler type of grade stuff is now used as avation fuel.  the plant was abandond due to lack of money to continue working out the bugs, but the buildings were around untill 1995 when they were nocked down along with the 3 coal mines in the town!!!
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

frank2056

Quote from: Hobbes on May 05, 2010, 05:26:17 AM

Nuclear power is also possible, but unrealistic in a small aircraft. Unless you postulate a design that also includes electromagnetic shielding.

If you go slightly into the controversial science realm, an induced gamma emission based engine would only require a tiny amount of radioactive material to produce thrust. Like this proposal. Just don't stand behind the operating jet (good advice for any jet engine).

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

PR19_Kit

Sails are where it's at! -_-

If the America's Cup contestants can use aircraft wings to move their boats, why not use sails to move our aircraft?

And it'd be VERY environmental as well.........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

use an orbital solar array, and beam down the power in the form of microwaves? good if your only doing flights in tightly controlled flight paths. 
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

dy031101

Ducted fan and/or motorjet...... then I'll have to derive EB's design into a trainer...... or a low-intensity "interceptor"  :banghead: ?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here