TORNADO ADV 1/48 (Airfix) - it's time to do the my version of it -

Started by G.Marcat, May 02, 2010, 12:36:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G.Marcat

After to have done the Phantom-Viggen with the wings and the horizontal stabilators exchanged of place it's time to apply the same recipe on another subject.
The "victim" of the my recipe this time is the TORNADO ADV 1/48 from AIRFIX.

These are two my drawings that show what I have in mind as target:

The version one, with the TORNADO's wings relocated:

As soon as I have done this drawing I immediately thought that it is not too sexy as I like.
The Tornado's wings are too much small in widht, one time I relocated them in the rear fuselage they look too much strange.

At this point is started the second idea, in this forum in the past I saw a bunch of Tornado with the fixed wings, I remember for sure that in a case the modeler has taken the wings from the HORNET.

The my idea is of to use the wings from the HORNET but the my plus is of to place these wings on the rear fuselage and however make it a canard as in the first idea.

This is the second drawing:

G.Marcat

Quote from: hurricanemk1c on May 02, 2010, 12:39:15 AM
Nice idea!

I'm a little undecided: I would to do the version with the TORNADO's wing because this was the first idea, the base of all.

G.Marcat

A little of work done:

A selection of pieces glued:

and now a surprise... in the box there are two vertical fins, one for the old Tornado GR1 and a new MOULD  fin for the ADV VERSION: nice to see that the ADV fin is HEAVILY DEFORMED... it's out in the 3 axis.

I think that will use the old fin, the old GR1 fin do not look so deformed.

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

G.Marcat

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on May 02, 2010, 12:53:55 PM
How about forward-swept swing wings?  :wacko:

this idea of reverse swept wings has been considered but I don't like it very much.

G.Marcat

The work done in the last two weeks is very few:

removed the gloves that hide the wings pivot :

The resulting hole:

is corrected with a strip of plasticard superglued:

John Howling Mouse

Cool.  Looking forward to more progress on this fantastic concept.  Because it's so innovative, it's the kind of idea that just shines once you complete it in styrene.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Taiidantomcat

Fantastic  :o I like the swing wings a little better, but the more conventional wing will look great too. Nice work on the wing glove cut and fill
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

G.Marcat

Today taken a decision: do not use the wings from the HORNET but to use the Tornado's wings a bit enlarged.

For the rest, applied the air intakes (very problematic zone) and glued and sanded flush the air brakes.

G.Marcat

Done another step on the enlarged wings: today inserted two pieces of plasticard shaped accordingly in each wing.
A 3 grams tube of Superglue as putty and tomorrow will sand smooth.
This is the partial result.

Taiidantomcat

Very well done! I have thought about enlarging wings in much the same way but never tried it, nice work  :bow:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

G.Marcat

This morning completed the wings.
In the afternoon glued the wings to the fuselage.
Applied some tricks to have the wings glued securely.

This is the result of a day of work.