Dear G*d - My Stash !!

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, April 29, 2010, 01:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian the Kiwi Herder

No.1 son has gone down with Chickenpox, and as I'm writing this is, catching-up on his sleep. So I've taken the opportunity to ascend into the loft, primarily to dig-out my Mitsubishi F-2B, but also to have a 'bit of a sort-out'.

I've said this here before - I'm not given to using expletives on this or any site, it's sloppy and lazy English, however, if I did use expletives, I could well utilise one that rhymes with TRUCK FLEA, because I just realised after five years of eBuying that I have altogether far too many kits - good ones too, very little cr*p. So the point has been reached to unload as many as possible. Strangely I don't feel reluctant about it, next year we are converting the loft into a work room (for me), and storage area for everything so I need to make (a lot of) room anyways - saves shunting them all from one place to another and back again.

So watch the sales thread over the next few months - it will take most of the rest of this year to cull the herd - you will see a fair torrent of stuff coming out of Schloss Jackson. I never realised just how 'mad' my buying has been. I need to stop, and stop now  :o

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Howard of Effingham

hope the son gets over the chickenpox ian.

as for the sales, well we'll see what there is and if we want to buy.

t.
Keeper of George the Cat.

NARSES2

Hope the chiken pox passes ok Ian.

As for stash reduction I'm just about to embark on the same procedure. Mainly to get rid of stuff that is not in my period and I know I'll never build plus reduce all the doubles/triples/quad boxings I have  :banghead:

As for cutting back on the buying. I'm using a simple test when I look at a kit in a shop/show. I ask myself "would I want to build this as soon as I get home ?" It worked at Southern Expo and at the Scot's Nationals where I was very good. So there is hope for us all  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Hope No.1 son gets better soon Ian.

I've managed to get out of the habit of going shopping for the relevent kits as soon as I have a new idea by remembering the current list of ideas for which I have kits and the current rate of progress at getting through them.... :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

chrisonord

I hope the young fella gets well soon Ian, it is much better for him to have Chicken Pox at his age than when he is older, as it can be damaging. He will build up his resistance now. As for the excess kits?? is there such a thing?? :rolleyes: :lol:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Radish

I hope the little chap soon recovers.
As for "the stash", Narses rule is a good one, and I also operate generally on the principle that if I've got it, unless it has a specific purpose, I don't buy.
I've cut down really hard in the last few years on impulse buys.....just ones I need and know I'm going to build.
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

beowulf

hope the little un gets over it soon.........i take it hes playing join the dots and make a pretty picture  ;D......seems to be a lot of it about at the mo.....a friend has had her two lads go down with it in the last two weeks

as for the stash.......i have been very good so far this year......think i have only bought about a dozen so far, last year that would have been january's purchases   :lol:.....thing is i look at my stash and i can see almost nothing that i want to get rid off....i dont buy unless i really want it...its all there to be built.........................one day :rolleyes:
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

lancer

Also hope the little one recovers quick as well Ian.

As for the stash, I'll just keep a weather eye out .
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Nick

Shame about the chickenpox, my 4-yo niece had it last week and was really not happy about it.

As for the kit collection, I've been there and done that! :rolleyes:
Having a cashflow restriction and several other interests has limited my kit spending these last couple of years. The simple(?) trick of saying 'do I really need this?' and 'what about the rest of the stash?' works well.

ChrisF

My problem isnt my stash... Its me trying to save for a new compressor... and finding other randomness to use up my money.... Beer, Women, and song mainly....   :blink:

nev

So I take it you don't want me to send you those BL-755s in a 1/48 Hasegawa MC.202 box? ;)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

beowulf

Quote from: ChrisF on April 29, 2010, 01:09:31 PM
Beer, Women, and song mainly.... 

nice to see you are not frittering away your money on trivial things  ;D  :cheers:
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Weaver

My problem isnt my stash... Its me trying to save for a new compressor... and finding other randomness to use up my money.... Beer, Women, and song mainly....   :blink:

Your singing costs you money? Wow - how bad is it then? :blink: ;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

anthonyp

Quote from: Weaver on April 29, 2010, 04:32:13 PM

Your singing costs you money? Wow - how bad is it then? :blink: ;)

Well there is that "Paying people to sit still and not laugh while he's singing" thing...
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

ChrisF

Hence not being able to afford the compressor :(

Bad times...