Gryphon mk.II

Started by Atlantis, April 25, 2010, 09:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantis

One of my original BSG designs. I first conceived of this design about three years ago when stuck with the fuselage of a 1:72 Revell snaptite Apache. I converted it into a Raptor-like aircarft, and named it the Gryphon Mk.I. The mk.II Gryphon was the result of combining parts from a 2010 Camaro, the fuselage of a 1:32 scale Testor's screw together AH-64 Apache, a No parking sign, and some model rocket tubing. It's currently a work in progress, as I'm still deciding on how to the engines.

The Gryphon is a heavy ground attack/ fighter spacecraft that, like the Viper, was in service with both the Colonial Navy and Air Force prior to the fall of the twelve colonies. The Gryphon can carry a wide range of ordinance for attacking either heavily fortified ground targets or heavily armored targets in space, like its cousin the Raptor. Unlike the Raptor, it's designed solely as a heavy gunship. The mk.I's, signified by their long nose-mounted refueling probe and Yoyodyne Propulsion-built engines, were used by the Navy. Glactica still had a squadron of Gryphons on board up until 20 years prior to it's decomissioning. The Air Force kept their Gryphons much longer, right up until the fall of the 12 colonies. One of the popular tales from the first Cylon war held that one of these craft took down an entire baseship thanks to a lucky shot ot the fuel reserves. Several also participated in a valiant, but an overall inneffective, final charge against the Cylons during fall.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j240/OV-104/FILE0192.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j240/OV-104/FILE0193.jpg

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Sisko

Definetly has that BSG look! :thumbsup:

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

buzzbomb

Yep.. like this one

nice job.

the BSG universe has a lot of untouched ground.. especially with ground forces

Doc Yo

Nice concept, and I think it certainly improves on the original. :thumbsup:

Atlantis

Almost done, I've added decals and more ordinance. Those big green things are the reason these craft are able to take on and destroy Cylon base ships. the mk. 21 Sunburst cluster nuke. Essentially a nuclear shotgun, each weapon (missile/ bomb hybrid) is propelled by a small rocket engine and carries 10 grapefruit sized nuclear bombs that are dispersed by an explosive charge.

proditor

Wow, that looks cool!  :ph34r:

:thumbsup:

Cobra

Awesome Job! why do i Almost feel ;ike Humming the 'TOP GUN Anthem' when i see that Model? Great Work! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: You did a Great Job! if you want a Link to a Site i Know,PM me.Dan

Aircav

Best looking Apache I've seen in a long time and I love the way you've painted the weapons, great weathering, my hat off to you Sir  :thumbsup: :bow: :cheers: :wub: :wub:
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

John Howling Mouse

Wow, you've captured the BSG look perfectly with this innovative design.  Very, very nicely done!    :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

sotoolslinger

Gotta put that in this years whiffies :wub: :wub: :wub: :bow: :bow: :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland