O

Israel's Young Lion: The IAI Lavi

Started by Overkiller, April 21, 2010, 02:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Overkiller

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

You good..... oh yes, you good !

:thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

NARSES2

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on April 22, 2010, 12:51:52 AM
You good..... oh yes, you good !

:thumbsup:

Ian

Told you that at Cosford. Well done Dunc

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

arkon

very nice lavi , another one that should have been. as far as the masking canopy, ihave had very good results from black electricians tape. it stretches a little to conform to the shape and burnishes down quite nicely , it can be a little hard to trim though.       keep em coming
the plastic gods demand sacrifice

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Mmmm, masking canopies, now there's a 'can-of-worms'.

Well since you asked:

Let's make the assumption that for arguments' sake there is no Eduard (or other) pre cut canopy masking set. I dip the canopies in Johnsons Kleer for a few seconds, holding them by one corner in a pair of tweezers. Gently shake off the excess and allow them to dry on a piece of clean kitchen towel for around 30mins.

I lay on an oversize piece of Tamiya masking tape so that it obscures all the framing and gently prees & smooth it into all the ridges - to help this, I sometimes use an old toothpick/cocktail stick to burnish the tape into the detail. With the ridges showing through the tape, using a (straight from the pack) angled blade in my X-Acto knife, I carefully score through the tape one edge at a time until I can lift the excess leaving the frames 'exposed and the 'glasss masked.

With that done, I glue the canopies in place with either dilute white glue or, if the canopy is going to be permanently closed as most of mine are, with liquid poly run into the join with a fine brush allowing the cappiliery action to make a firm joint.

I leave this to 'go-off' for at least twelve hours (overnight) then spray the interior colour, followed by the external camouflage. Have a look at the progress pics for my recent Scorpion and Rafale, it may give an idea how I do it.

HTH

Ian
(Superb build, Duncan  :thumbsup:- now stop beating-y'self-up over trivial details like pylons and canopies, it will come, trust me on this. Go build/paint something simple and fun - like the new Airfix MiG-15 or re-issued Buccaneer, it'll make you feel all fuzzy and warm  :blink:)

Confuscious (maybe)

Shasper

Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

anthonyp

That's a fun kit to build, love how yours turned out!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Weaver

It looks cracking - well done!

Canopy-wise, I mask and paint each frame separately, or a couple at a time if the design allows, using Tamiya tape and Humbrol enamels. This avoids doing any cutting on the canopy itself. You can get "bumps" where the paint on a vertical overlaps the sill, but with a bit of practice you can paint up to existing paint rather than over it. The technique falls down a bit on internal curves, but you can usually touch those in afterwards with baited breath....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Ahhh the ultra-low-level-instant-sunshine-delivery-system. Going to need that yellow sand/dk green wraparound scheme you've been promising y'self ! :wacko:

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Captain Canada

Very nice. I really like the weapons fit as well.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?