Seymour Angel

Started by Swanny, April 18, 2010, 11:15:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swanny

Mention has been made of a 1/48 YB-40 I have been building, here it is. But first for those who don't know what a YB-40 is it is a pure gunship B-17. These aircraft, or at least a dozen or so, were actually built and put into service during WW2 with lots of fuel and lots of ammo and bunches of armor but no bombs. Only one was lost in combat and that was to flak. So why would I post this build here as a Whiff? Here's why, documentation of these aircraft was spotty at best and many different configurations were attempted including 20mm stingers in the tail and various multiple gun placements. Some good pictures of a few of these aircraft do exist but for the majority we have only a tail number and maybe a ship name. That is the case of Seymour Angel. No one knows if or what kind of nose art it might have carried and its exact gun configuration is unknown. This is what is known of this aircraft, tail number was 42-5734 and it was assigned to the 91st BG in July 1943. She returned to USA Jan 25, 1944 then was transferred to RFC Ontario, CA May 18, 1945. My Whiff take on this will be my own nose art (or body art in this case) and gun configuration. This build has been in-progress for over a year now. Here is a full body shot just before the fuselage gets closed up.

And a couple of detail shots for those who have not already seen the feature on my site.

The view into the forward crew hatch

A complete scratch built radio room

I know there is some crazy a$$ detail I could put into the tail wheel but don't really plan on having this flipped over for inspection so not bothering with that this time around.

John Howling Mouse

Aiyee, that's some manic detail you've got going on there, Swanny.  Love the "Life" magazine.
Your work transcends "hobby" to become legitimate art.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Eddie M.

Thank you for posting this over here. For some reason, these photos won't download for me at your place, so this is a real treat!! ;D
Look behind you!

Taiidantomcat

I love where this is going! Excellent work as well, superior craftsmanship  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

tanktastic43

ef me, you're good. 'nuff said.  :bow:

tt43.

Swanny

Well, the fuselage is closed up. I placed the upper fuselage sections, trimmed the wing lock tabs and slid them into place just for a looksee and all I can say is ..... I love B-17s!

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Stunning detail - if I'd done that I don't think I could bear to seal it up!  :bow: :bow: :bow:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Swanny

Quote from: Weaver on April 19, 2010, 04:15:17 AM
Stunning detail - if I'd done that I don't think I could bear to seal it up!  :bow: :bow: :bow:
Yeah, it was hard to do but I am setting up both upper turrets to be easily pulled improving the view inside plus with all the hatches open it does help. All the detail was done to give the impression of a really busy place when you looked into any hatch or window. I think it worked  :rolleyes:

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

philp

Hmmm...
How to whiff a YB-40 to a more practical design for its mission.  For starters, more powerful engines so it can keep up with the bombers after they drop their loads.

And Swanny, I know this is not a What If build but maybe someone else wants to take that on.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Swanny

While waiting for putty to dry around the fuselage insert for the aft upper turret I am working on a wing beginning with some landing gear strut enhancements. I have a set of Scale Aviation metal gear struts for this but the plastic kit pieces actually look a littler better so I'm using them. Various brake lines are added using fine magnet wire.

Now with the gear assembly installed in the wing the closed flap has been cut out and the kit external bomb mount holes have been filled with white plastic rod. Originally I was going to use the Paragon flaps but now have the Eduard flaps and they look much better plus I can close the wing then install the flaps. I have installed the Paragon blanks for the wing inlets as well.

NARSES2

Quote from: nev on April 19, 2010, 10:09:35 AM
Zoinks :blink:

If I may borrow the phrase and double it ... outstanding  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Taiidantomcat

Great job with that wire  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Swanny

Slight distraction today, a UPS box was waiting for me when I got home.

And then a little something to satisfy the AMS.