BAAE Harrier 'Wild Wombat'

Started by beowulf, April 05, 2010, 01:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beowulf

Another from my ATL project

By 1990 the combined forces of the Commonwealth and CATO are slowly forcing the Axis Alliance from North West Africa. Morocco is their final foothold in Africa

Shown is a BAAE Harrier GR10 'Wild Wombat' air defence suppression aircraft of the Royal Australian Air Force operating in the Battle of Casablanca mid 1990

In the early 80's the need for a SEAD capable aircraft was identified to deal with the significantly improved Axis radar and AA installations. One of the aircraft used for this purpose was the BritishAustralian Aerospace Harrier T10 trainer. Surplus airframes were suitably modified in to 'Wild Wombat' specification with additional avionics and utilising the CATO supplied Raytheon HARM and Paveways

Kit was Airfix T10 in 1/72....been kicking around in the stash forever and i didn't know what to do to it to give it a different role.....i was reading an article about the F35 (boring!) and how one of its roles will be that of 'Wild Weasel'......a little light bulb went on....only problem with putting the kit together was the canopy...why make it in 4 bits when it isn't designed to be built in the open position?......and dosnt fit well when in the closed position?....arggggh!! ..and it obviously couldnt get called 'Wild Weasel' if it was Australian, could it?  :lol:  :lol:
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

rickshaw

Considering its lost its tail, mightn't "Bob-Tailed Skink" be a better name?  ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

beowulf

Quote from: rickshaw on April 06, 2010, 04:56:14 AM
mightn't "Bob-Tailed Skink" be a better name?  ;)

dosnt quite roll off the tongue tho, does it?  ;D ;D ;D
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

chrisonord

Very nice build there  :thumbsup:
I keep stopping myself from buying that same kit when I go into my LMS, as I would like to do one as an O/AV-8 for my U.S Marine task force.
I built the Italeri one many years ago but have not seen one for right money.
Cheers,
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

beowulf

thanks for the comments......appreciated  :thumbsup:

Radish

I'm just loving that turned up nose!! :thumbsup:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

rafi

Taiidantomcat

Excellent work, gave me a big grin  ;D
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

beowulf

Quote from: Radish on April 07, 2010, 05:10:18 AM
I'm just loving that turned up nose!! :thumbsup:

hehehe...i was wondering if someone would notice....i was playing about with all the nose's that come in the kit.....the T10 one went on upside down and looked kind of interesting, so i went with it  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Camo pattern works very well. LIke that colour combination.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Captain Canada

Very nice....what other colours did you use ? I lover that combo ! Also diggin' the way you've placed the markings....keeps the whole thing interesting. I like the upturned nose as well, looks kinda pigish !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

beowulf

Quote from: Captain Canada on April 10, 2010, 06:54:03 PM
Very nice....what other colours did you use ?

good question....the tamiya bottle was just for scale.......i very rarely use that brand for airbrushing.....i use a lot of Revell aquas instead cos i like them for airbrushing..........the brown is dark earth (82).....darker green is dark green (39).....and the mid green is a mix i made up for something else and had plenty left over and needed using up (still got enough for about 4 aircraft   :lol: :lol: :lol:)

Aussie747

Ray
Canberra
*-*-*-*-*-*-

In work:
1/72 C-65J
1/72 P-7B
1/144 C-17T