Submarine WHIF Query

Started by Cobra, April 04, 2010, 10:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys, Hope i'm sounding foolish but...Has Anyone ever tried to WHIF a Submarine Model? not sure if i saw A lot of Sub Whifs, that's why i asked. the reason i ask is because I have some ideas but thought i'd ask before posting them elsewhere in the Forums. What say You? thanks for looking. Dan

puddingwrestler

Personally, I have not whiffed a submarine, although in my youth I got about half way ito turning one into a space ship. However I can see great potential - what if the old british M class (I think it was) had suceeded and more submarines where fitted with heavy naval artillery... IJN submarines with 18 inch guns and spotter planes! What if diesel electric didn't exist and we had to rely on steam?

I did plan to make a San Tortan submarine once, but then I gave the kit to DF in an aid package when he was sent to Adelaide and languishing there...
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

GTX

How about an aircraft carrying submarine with Harriers:

a Skyhook equipped submarine aircraft carrier:

Or perhaps submarines with tracks:

or if Luft'46 is more your style, what about a Golf type (see pics) based upon the Walter U-boats with V-2 developments:

Regards,

Greg

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

philp

A couple of the IPMS guys posted some what if models when I posted the link to the Whiffies.  I gave them both the invite.

One of the models was this:

A sub made out of an airplane (no points for figuring out which aircraft).
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

dragon

Some years ago someone here (can't remember who) whiffed a tourist submarine out of an Airfix 727.  Personally I have constructed a USS Seatiger out of the USS Lionfish kit and Nautilus models parts.
:cheers:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

proditor

I have long range plans to scale-o-rama a typhoon into something improbable.

seadude

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

jcf

Quote from: puddingwrestler on April 04, 2010, 11:24:12 PM
What if diesel electric didn't exist and we had to rely on steam?

So everyone could suffer like the RN and the crews of the K class boats?  :banghead:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_K_class_submarine

Or do you mean that everybody has nuke boats, which are after all 'steam-driven'.  ;)

philp

Quote from: proditor on April 05, 2010, 11:12:07 AM

Several years ago a Typhoon was enteded at the US Nats in the Humor category.  The guy had built it normal, then cut down the length horizontally and added some plastic meat, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, etc.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

dragon

Quote from: philp on April 05, 2010, 04:56:45 PM
Quote from: proditor on April 05, 2010, 11:12:07 AM

Several years ago a Typhoon was enteded at the US Nats in the Humor category.  The guy had built it normal, then cut down the length horizontally and added some plastic meat, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, etc.
I remember seeing that one in FSM.  I believe the caption was "The Hunt for Red Pimentos".
:cheers:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Joe C-P

I built a Typhoon as a VTOL carrier, with a hangar and elevator for 3 YaK-38s in place of the launch tubes.

I can't find any photos online, though I still have the model.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.