1987 CAF Mirage CF-10 **F I N I S H E D**

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, April 04, 2010, 12:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian the Kiwi Herder

OK the next (1:48) build has already hit the bench, well to be more accurate - and we all appreciate the value of accuracy here in What If Land don't we  :o - the loadout has hit the bench. The aircraft will be the 'killer' part of a (mid 1980's) Defence Supression Hunter-Killer team. It will be wearing two late model AIM-9's and two drop-tanks. What I need your opinions on is this

Do I go for the balance and symetry of:
2 x 'Winders, 2 x AGM-45 Shrikes, 2 x drop-tanks and a centreline jamming pod

or

The less obvious but more visually challenging:
2 x 'Winders, 1 x ECM Pod, 1 x AGM-45 Shrike, 2 x drop-tanks and a pair of side-by-side iron bombs on the centreline (probably Mk82SE's)

I'm genuinely torn betwixt the two options. So let me have your thoughts over the next couple of days - I'll have a read of them when I get-back on Wednesday evening. Don't bother asking what aircraft I'm building, I'm not going to give-that-away just yet, but it will be wearing 'leafy' roundels and a very simple green/grey wraparound camouflage.

OK, folks, over to you.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

upnorth

I like the second option. Go for asymetry, visually it's more interesting.

The iron bombs would be interesting, but fora more Canadian look, you might want to put a 19 shot CRV-7 rocket pod on the centre line instead. It is possible to mount the CVR-7 pods in a paired configuration like you were proposing with the iron bombs.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Maverick

Asymetric warloads rock in my opinion.  Always like an 'odd' layout on anything pretty much.

Regards,

Mav

Weaver

I'd go for the asymetric loadout too.

If your 'winder pylons are underwing, then why not have one 'winder and one ECM pod as the asymetic self-defence suite, thus leaving pylonage for two Shrikes, two tanks and two iron bombs (centreline) or two Shrikes, two Mavericks/CRV-7 pods and one centreline tank? This is credible and has pleasing asymetry on the conspicuous outerwing pylons yet without making the heavy stuff asymetric, which can be jarring. All depends on which aircraft we're talking about, of course......
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

nev

Definately assymetric.

And even if you won't tell us the plane, I'm still going to guess.  Draken.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Ian the Kiwi Herder

I cannot stop you having a guess, buddy, but I'm not being drawn whatsoever..... M'wahahahahaaaaa

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

JayBee

Ian,

I think you should go for an asymetric load-out, but make it realy asymetric, not that wimpish second suggestion you made.
You know it makes sense.

:rolleyes:

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Steel Penguin

savage stoat, extreme ermine, picky pine martin, mad muskrat,
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Captain Canada

Sounds interesting, but I can't decide on an answer to your query ! I'm thinking of the loadouts on difeerent a/c. What might be right for some, doesn't seem right on others.

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Sauragnmon

Falcon - he's two rails short for a Viper, if you count it up. Plus he's got Shrikes so that somewhat defines the age as well, combine with the fact it's a weasel bird needs two seats.  Is it a Thud?

I'd leave the loadout question until you get to the aircraft, frankly, so you can study how the asymmetry looks on the aircraft - as mentioned before, what looks cool on one, might look wrong on another.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Scooterman

IHG, quick suggestion-drop the bombs (no pun) and go for some sort of cluster weapon.  If the bombs miss, the SAM crews will piss in the big hole and go back to the vans.  However, drop 600 or so bomblets on them, they'd piss themselves!

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Saur - I deliberately dropped 'Killer' into the post to hint that it may not be a two-seater !! - I've drawn-out the options on a set of three-view plans, both look very do-able.

Brad - That's still an option, but the physical dimensions of the BL755 and Rockeye etc may be too much for the side-by-side carrier, hence the 'Snakes'.

Toad - I appreciate what you mean, I'm a wee bit unfair, I just posted the question to garner some ideas from the crowd here. Looks like everybody is in favour of the asymetric loadout.... however it ends-up, I can pretty much guarantee that you will appreciate it, eh ?

Thanks for all the response/interest so far folks, keep it coming.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

GTX

Quote from: Overkiller on April 04, 2010, 07:12:51 AM
Miffed Mongoose, Mithered Meerkat, Riled Rat, Huffy Hamster...

Why go for little critters - how about something big and brash (i.e. Canadian ;D...yeah I find it hard to accept too):  Malicious Moose!!

After all, a moose once bit my sister...

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

jcf

Berserk Beaver

Rowdy Raven

Manic Mountie

Amok Athabascan

Smoked Salmon
...must be time for a snack.  ;D

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!