US Land Battleship Miantonomoh

Started by proditor, April 03, 2010, 05:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

proditor

More details over in the Let it Snow GB.

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,28127.0.html

But, here's one of the latest pics!

Radish

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Caveman

I love the concept :)

one question... what is the crane for and where does the seaplane land?

:P
secretprojects forum migrant

proditor

Well, the crane is for the seaplane and to haul up anything to the main "deck" that would be too difficult to bring up through the Land Battleship.  As for the seaplane, it's steampunk, so it lands on anything I say it does.  ;)

More seriously, the plan for the plane is for extended undercarriage in the pylon for the float, and for the float itself to have a "collapsing" mechanism like memory metal so that it turns into a ski for snow landings.  The wingtip ski/floats retract like a catalina.  It's 1/700 scale; one x-acto swipe and it'll look close enough.

The crane I think is standard issue, but the plane was an addition for the specific mission of the Miantonomoh.

EDIT: New pics over in the let it snow thread!

jcf

You don't need to turn the float into a ski to land on snow, bush pilots in Alaska in the '30s and '40s
used to land float planes on snow and iced over lakes fairly regularly.

Ditto flying boats, probably most famously the Dornier Wal:

Sisko

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

puddingwrestler

I see you've gone with the pulp magazine cover school of giant war machine painting.
Doncha just love all those covers with dramatic orange and blue hunks of army gear?
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

proditor

Quote from: puddingwrestler on April 11, 2010, 03:25:24 PM
I see you've gone with the pulp magazine cover school of giant war machine painting.
Doncha just love all those covers with dramatic orange and blue hunks of army gear?
I do indeed.  Listening to the John Carter audiobooks during the build probably prodded the brain subconsciously.  ;D

puddingwrestler

Oooh good, another man who listens to audio books when modeling!
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

MiB

My virtual repaint site: http://hangarofmib.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------
-"Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we cruise around in a Ford POS?"

-"Nothing is as it seems, guy!"

The Wooksta!

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Weaver

It was for operation at the Martian Pole, so probably red for the same reason many other things get painted red in that environment: to aid rescue if they get stuck.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

JoeP

You do know that Martian soil is rather reddish?

Other than that, kaboom!  :thumbsup:
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.