Serious Week Voyager

Started by Ed S, April 02, 2010, 08:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed S

We had some discussion of "Serious Week" for this month.  So here is a real world (yes guys, it does exist) model I built for the occasion.  Of course this is a perfect real world model for a WHIFFER.  And what could be more appropriate than something from B. Rutan.

This is the AModel Rutan Voyager in 1/72 scale.  Not the easiest kit to build.  But it is unique.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

PR19_Kit

Ed,

Nice one indeed, and an A Model kit that's not got to many faults too.

I've had one in build for some time, but lost the landing gear and can't find any bits to replace it so far. You have to select the actual flight that you're modelling as it was a different configuration on every single flight, for goodness sake. On the real 'around the world' flight it not only had different engines front and rear, but the props were different too. [JMN mode off now......  -_-]
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

pyro-manic

Nicely done, Ed. Looks good. :)
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

philp

Nice, but I thought we were supposed to post them on the main page?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

GTX

Nice - I am tempted to try and get this kit to turn into a UAV (somewhat of a predecessor to Global Hawk).

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

PR19_Kit

I think they do the Virgin Atlantic Global Flyer too, which is jet powered, might make a better bet as a UAV than the Voyager.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Beautiful model, congratulations. And a rare one! :wub:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

anthonyp

Quote from: GTX on April 02, 2010, 12:36:42 PM
Nice - I am tempted to try and get this kit to turn into a UAV (somewhat of a predecessor to Global Hawk).

Regards,

Greg

I've got it and the Virgin Atlantic Global Flyer and was going the route of manned Global Hawk predecessors  ;D
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

noxioux

I thought it was great until I noticed it was an Amodel kit, then I decided to think it was awesome.  Very well done!

GTX

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 02, 2010, 03:44:22 PM
I think they do the Virgin Atlantic Global Flyer too, which is jet powered, might make a better bet as a UAV than the Voyager.

Ah yes, but you forget the oddity factor is higher with the piston version!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: GTX on April 03, 2010, 02:59:07 PM
Ah yes, but you forget the oddity factor is higher with the piston version!

Greg,

OK, how about going the whole hog, leave the engines out and bungee launch the thing as a high altitude sailplane?  -_-

You may have to fit longer wings though...........  :o

Regards
Kit