After-effects at Chernobyl

Started by John Howling Mouse, April 09, 2004, 10:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

An engrossing internet read about a young woman who likes to motorcycle through the abandoned post-disaster Chernobyl area and photograph her journeys there.

"I couldn't put it down" as they say about book reviews...really makes you think.   -_-

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Captain Canada

Wow.....that was pretty awesome, JHM ! Neat to see all that abandoned stuff.....shitty, but neat !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

lancer

I saw this over at HS but I agree it is very haunting to see the entire city abandoned just like that.  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Mairfrog

Blimey... that is haunting, beautiful, tragic and scary all at once, like Ophelia in Hamlet.

I hope our Elena lives longer than some of those unlucky residents. Absolutely insane yet fascinating, and a stark reminder of what happens when mankind buggers around with stuff we should know to leave alone. Makes Sellafield/Windscale look like a spilt can of Coke.

Well, apart from some unnaturally radioactive sheep and a few bizarre sunsets, the whole ghastly affair passed us by in Britain. Our government lied about the risk, of course, and who knows if BSE was a result of all this, but at least we never had a wood that glowed red through radioactivity.

Unreal.

WeeJimmy

Chilling...

to think we build models of things designed to unleash this...  

Captain Canada

Geez...that's deep, Wee Jimmy !

Better get yer hand off'n yer wife's pants and get a few pints inta ya, lad !

:P  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?