Kurtisch Ku109E

Started by kitbasher, March 29, 2010, 06:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Take one unbuilt, unwanted Academy 1/72 P-40B.  Chop and rearrange a few small items towards the front end and the wing tips.  Add old Airfix Bf110 prop/spinner.  Cover in paint and leave to set.  Serve to unsuspecting JMNs!
Progress pics to follow.
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Taiidantomcat

Very curious to see this  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

kitbasher

So here's the first progress pics:
#1 initial nose surgery.  The Tomahawk's front end reminded me a little of the Ju87B, so so make it look even more 'German', the carb intake and exhaust stubs are removed, the latter being reattached lower down the cowl to look more like a 109's DB601.  A new carb intake made from a length of sprue and what looks like a prop retaining ring from something Matchbox have been made.  Once sanded it'll be attached to the side of the cowl just above the exhaust stubs.  Flame guards will be attached to the fuselage (also just above the stubs) once sanding has been done.
#2 wing tip clipping. simples - make it look more like a Bf109E wing.
#3 more nose surgery.  I want to retain the nose guns, but not the kit's 'slabs with pointy bits'.  Also want to make the P-40 look more German, and having an Airwaves FW190A-5/6 MG cowl in the stash from the days when I intended build loads of FW190s (no longer an aim!), decided to cut a section out of th enose to take the cowl.
#4 the new cowl, sitting on the P-40 nose.  Now the fun begins with interior and small component painting before fuselage assembly.
;D ;D
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitbasher

Sadly very little progress recently, so I don't see me finishing this by the deadline but will plod on!  An extension wouldn;t help 'cos I'm away or the first two weeks of May.  B*gger!
:banghead:

kitbasher

Busy at work, busy at home, not much chance for modelling and off on holiday for a week tomorrow.  Hoping toget this cracked wen I get back, but only thanks to the extension - even then it'll be tight!
Anyway, fuselage, wings, tailplane assembled, filling + sanding done.  More filling + sanding to do ( :banghead:), some more adjustments to the nose, u/c, painting, etc, when I get back.  Woe!
;D ;D

sotoolslinger

That is coool :mellow: You seriously need to ignore your work and family to finish this ;D :rolleyes:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Taiidantomcat

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

kitbasher

Some frantic sanding down yesterday, painting starts tonight!  Still not convinced I'll finish it in time, though.
;D ;D

Taiidantomcat

Just keep working on it, you never know. Sometimes the universe conspires and things go better or faster than you had hoped  :cheers:

sotoolslinger

Must agree  :thumbsup: Would love to see this finished :party:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

kitbasher

Well guys, thanks for the words of encouragement, unfortunately it's not going to get finished by the GB deadline, not least due the fact that I don't have the tin of RLM02 I thougt I had, and a change of camo is called for (using an Almark Bf109E sheet for markings), which will add to the delay.
Here we are as we stand at the moment (prop temporarily attached for completeness).
I'll carry on the build in the Current and Finished Projects (Aircraft) thread.  Meanwhile, good luck to all who have finished their builds.
;D ;D

Taiidantomcat

Looks great so far though  :thumbsup: