Focke Wulf Fw 190E "Emil" (formerly of the Luftwaffe GB)

Started by pyro-manic, March 25, 2010, 12:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyro-manic

Here it is so far. Kits used are a Fw190D-9 and Bf109G-14, both 1:72 by Academy.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Brian da Basher

Reminds me of a P39 Airacobra. It'll be fun to see where you go with this!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Taiidantomcat

That is one that will have the JMNs scratching their heads  :thumbsup: Looks great  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

GTX

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on March 26, 2010, 11:37:30 AM
That is one that will have the JMNs scratching their heads  :thumbsup: Looks great  :cheers:

Especially since there was a real world Fw-190E

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

lancer

Looks very interesting.Will it have a yellow snout?
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

dumaniac

I'll have to add this to my "to-do" list - good luck.  Bernie

pyro-manic

:) Thanks, gentlemen - my intent is to replace the ugly bit of the Dora (I much prefer the radial-engined variants) with the pretty bit of the 'Schmitt. ;D Backstory something along the lines of all plans, tooling etc. for the Jumo 213 engine being lost in an air raid, and the DB605 having to be substituted instead.

My main problem so far is the discovery that the 190's fuselage is a lot fatter than the slender nose of the 'schmitt, so I'm going to have to do some serious filing and re-contouring to get the shapes blended. Should be "fun"... :banghead: No thoughts as to colour schemes yet, but hopefully something interesting. :)

Taiidantomcat

I think the 109K had kind of a "fatter" nose if you will, so even if you expand it here or there to make it fit, it will still look the part.
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

dumaniac

one option you might try is to use the top "bonnet" of the 190 but take the snout and side panels of the 109 and use the side panels back to the rear of the fuselage - where the two fuselages should be about the same -
or -
cut thin slivers out of the 190 nose to make it narrower - either way, keep the bog close - and a good helping of patience
cheers

Bernie

pyro-manic

Ok, I'm pushing this one right to the wire, but main construction is done, the engine-fuselage join has had the bejeezus filled and sanded out of it, and she's ready for a coat of primer to find any flaws. That will be in the morning - hopefully the weather will cooperate! Then it's painting time (ugh), and I'll be trying for one of those nice splinter schemes in green/grey I think.

proditor

That looks REALLY sleek!   :wub:

ChernayaAkula

Looks great so far! Very believable! :thumbsup:

Quote from: pyro-manic on March 28, 2010, 12:58:13 PM
<...> My main problem so far is the discovery that the 190's fuselage is a lot fatter than the slender nose of the 'schmitt, so I'm going to have to do some serious filing and re-contouring to get the shapes blended. Should be "fun"... :banghead: <...>

I think the Dora also had a rather noticable kink in the nose profile when viewed from above, so that should be no real concern for your build. :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

pyro-manic

Cheers guys - a bit more progress. She's up on her legs now, with exhausts and gubbins attached, and the big 190 prop with the 109's spinner. I think she looks fast. ;D

Paint tomorrow, after I get back from work. Should've cracked on with this a bit sooner, I think. :rolleyes:

Cobra

Great Work :thumbsup: :thumbsup: you make the 190 look SEXY! Can't wait to see How you Paint & Decal this Beauty! :cheers: :cheers:Dan