Mitsubishi B8J7-C Bandora

Started by Swanny, March 25, 2010, 12:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swanny

What if the Japanese Empire had perfected the Nene turbojet engine and possibly pushed it to a second generation production model? What if this engine was incorporated into a new Mitsubishi interceptor or reccon aircraft? What if this type of aircraft was converted to a float plane for use on the small Pacific islands? These are the kinds of questions that rattle around my head when there is nothing else to keep my mind occupied. Here is my answer to that string of questions, the Mitsubishi B8J7-C Aewun code name "Bandora".

The build begins with the destruction of two totally unrelated kits seen here,

I used the forward 2/3 of the Yak fuselage with the aft 1/3 of the Rufe fuselage. The wings and floats came from the Rufe.

The main float center column was shortened to accommodate the jet engine. The outrigger floats had their struts beefed up to handle higher landing speeds. The nose cannons are actually brass barrels left over from a 1/350 ship build. I have about $30 tied up in the aircraft model. The base has about $60 tied up in materials - isn't that normal with any oddball build?

The water is Easy Cast clear casting resin done in three pours with lots of color in the first, some color in the second and no color in the third. Art moss provided a lot of the greenery including the floating seaweed pads. Model RR buff ballast was used for the sand which is done over a base of Styrofoam and Cellu-Clay.

The fish are actually charm bracelet pieces with the attachment rings removed then painted. The waves were created by working the resin with a butter knife about six hours into the cure process.

The aircraft finish is Alclad Aluminum with salt chipping followed by White Ensign Japanese paints. I did some experimenting with dot filtration in the weathering but that did not work out too well for me. I think I need more practice on that stuff.

The model is permanently set in the resin. Because I did this in multiple pours and used a slow set resin there was no worry about heat damaging the model during the cure process. This is my first attempt at water but certainly not my last. Hope you like it.

Ed S

Nice model and excellent job with the water base. 

Welcome to WHIFF world.  Grab a drink and join the fun.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Logan Hartke

That looks great, Swanny.  Very natural-looking combination, and I love the fish in the water.  Great first post!  Welcome, sit and stay a while.

Cheers,

Logan

pyro-manic

Incredible, quite frankly. That water is superb, and the aircraft is gorgeous. :)
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Brian da Basher

Wow an absolute masterpiece, right down to the paint chipping, water and even the fish!

Good thing it looks like rain here because I'm going to switch to making mudpies for a hobby...

Welcome to the asylum, Swanny! It's great to have you here!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Eddie M.

Glad to see you over here Swanny! I'm also glad to see this done because I was having problems seeing it over at your place. Outstanding work!! Remember, whiffery is contagious. ;D
Look behind you!

Army of One

Must be something wrong with my 'puter........got all Swanny's text but no pics!!!! I wanna see the plane...but I really wanna see the fish......

Ha!! Just tried again....well worth the wait!!!!! Swanny makes it sound so simple making the water effect.......Awesome build n paintwork!!! Love the fish.....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

philp

Matt,
Thanks for accepting the invite and joining us here.  Make sure you show off some of the other great What If projects you have already done.

And gang, if you haven't already, make sure you visit Swanny's website.  Lots of great builds and great info.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

The Rat

Excellent work Swanny, and welcome to the nuthouse! Nice to have a Future expert here! :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

CAO 700

It looks very realistic, excellent job! I love it!
Beautiful planes are french! (Amiot 143, for example...ugh!)

Sauragnmon

Very beautiful work in total, Mister Swann - an excellent mastery of the merging of plastics.  Very elegant work in total, I love the look of the whole work.  Blending the Rufe and the Yakovlev Early Jet, I applaud you for the work!

The cost of the diorama was in truth the use of Model Railroading stuff - they charge an arm and a leg for the stuff.  If you look around in craft stores and the like, you can find more in bulk, and it's little different from the MR stuff because the MR stuff is just boiled and such to cleanse it fully.  All total, the stuff is just beautiful.

Welcome to the madhouse!
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Swanny

Wow, thanks for the big welcome guys. Sorry for the brief interruption of picture availability -- had a server crash from 6pm to 7pm EDT  :angry:
Most of the cost in the base was in the clear resin - about $40 right there.
Hope to put together a couple other examples of my warped mind in the future for your enjoyment. This might be a good time to get back to my YB-40 build.

Eddie M.

Quote from: Swanny on March 25, 2010, 05:40:41 PM
Wow, thanks for the big welcome guys. Sorry for the brief interruption of picture availability -- had a server crash from 6pm to 7pm EDT  :angry:
Most of the cost in the base was in the clear resin - about $40 right there.
Hope to put together a couple other examples of my warped mind in the future for your enjoyment. This might be a good time to get back to my YB-40 build.

Yes it would. ;D
Look behind you!

Hotte

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Hi Matt
Great to see you over here..... like the Bandora, really nice  :thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)