Main Menu

Snowy Corsair

Started by Mossie, March 20, 2010, 07:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

I know I haven't got around to a full build, but I've just about managed to get into the spirit.  I built a model of an F4U-1 Corsair in RAF colours, which I designated a P-48A Outlaw Mk.I.  I took it to a show with me & managed to knock off a prop blade, then I scratched some of the paint work.  Eddie kindly furnished me with a new prop which I've popped on & I've changed the paint scheme to add a winter distemper over the Ocean Grey portions. I masked the markings & over painted the grey with white, giving it a worn look simply by rubbing at patches with wet & dry.

I haven't really got a back story for it.  An extended Norwegian Campaign is one possibilty, with the UK not withdrawing when France was invaded.  Churchill had plans to invade Norway when he was First Lord of the Admiralty, maybe these panned out?

Original model:

Refurb pics:

Enjoy!

Simon :party:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

pyro-manic

The Corsair really is an ugly beast, isn't it? Nice job on the distressed paint - I'll have to try that some time. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Thanks guys!

Alun, it's dead simple, I got the idea of a guy on another forum.  I did it on my P-40 Egg Plane too, although with that one I kept the strokes longer, on this one I worked at small patches.  One thing I found is that I put the paint on a little heavy to start with, not a problem, but it just makes work a little harder.  If you rub a little bit much off, just brush a thin wash of white over it.

Egg Plane thread: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,23731.0/highlight,egg%20plane+p-40.html

Chris, do you have any insight into a back story?  I know you're pretty knowledgeable in this era. ;D
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

John Howling Mouse

Very nice.  And, looking at your distressed paint, I now realize I've missed that feature on my own.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Spey_Phantom

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

thedarkmaster

Like it a lot mate, Really like the winter cammo  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Mossie

Thanks again guys!

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on March 21, 2010, 01:17:13 PM
Very nice.  And, looking at your distressed paint, I now realize I've missed that feature on my own.

Baz, looks like you've gone a little way to it already! ;)

NARSES2

Quote from: Mossie on March 21, 2010, 01:54:03 PM
Thanks again guys!

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on March 21, 2010, 01:17:13 PM

Baz, looks like you've gone a little way to it already! ;)

Well in my own little world WWII continues much later then in real life, with the Allies concentrating on defeating the Japanese first (Understanding of Halifax May 1942) and the Western European theatre is not really active until at least 1946. Still lots going on though.  ;D

However in order to safeguard the convoys to Russia Anglo/French forces occupy Iceland, Spitzbergen and the Lofoten Islands (as well as some smaller islands) and establish air bases on them to prtect said convoys and harras the German Iron ore trade and supply routes to Finland.

Your Corsair would fit nicely into this scenario.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Green Dragon

Real good paint job Mossie, never been able to get a nice distressed look the few times I attempted it.  :bow:

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Weaver

Looks like it's having a tough war - good job on the paint Mossie!  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Captain Canada

Looks right to me ! Nice work. The second to last pic is my fave.....just needs a background and I'd have thought it was real.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Mossie

Cheers guys!  Well, I'm not exactly a photoshop pro Cap, but here goes...