L

EE Lightning

Started by lancer, May 21, 2003, 08:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lancer

Typical bloody pen pushing paper shuffling morons...
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

F-32

between us, how many Arrows have we got?

Maybe we should have an Arrow section on the site - it would look sharp...................sorry, that really was a bad attempt at humour

lancer

Well I've got one Arrow built and one waiting to be built.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Skorpio

A friend has been cheking the PRO again, and has found a reference for a request by No 111 Sqn.  When they got the Lightning, they asked for permission to form a three ship display team, the Black Arrows (continuing from their hunter days)  but the miseries at the Ministry said no.

He's also done a Lightning with a Red Beard slung underneath and wing tip tanks.  Looks wicked!

Skorpio

I've got four completed plue three on the go and one to go (ta Thorvic), and Magus has one completed, plus one completed in 1/48th with a small Blue Steel underneath.

God only knows how many Toad, Alvis and CFWOL have put together, but it must be about three squadrons worth.

Radish

With all this talk of Lightnings, and with a bit of research into REAL ones for one of my other personas, I'm starting TODAY....ie, clearing the workbench/desk of all other work, a BAC Lightning F2A/6 kit in 1/48th from Airfix.
The temptations are obvious!

I've researched and allocated a REAL F6 for building, from 56 Sqn, all natural metal with the Rising Phoenix badge on the fin and it's based in Cyprus, early '70s time. Used to intercept Turkish aircraft straying into the wrong airspace during and before their invasion of the island.

But, I'm building, and I WILL finish before the Doncaster Show (April 3rd), the "Last Combat Mission" of the BAC Lightning, circa 2009.........in Guatamala.
A fighter-bomber version, in wrap-around camouflage colours, with lots of weathering, fully loaded, and a hell of a story.
Martin will get the story, plus artwork/photos for the SIG newsletter.

I've just looked up the availability of the F2A/F6 kit in 1/48th, and they're about £20 still. I've a couple "in the stash", but might order another just to be on the safe side.
After all, there's the West German version with Sidewinders (four in twin rails either side of the nose, a la F-8E Crusader) JG 71 "Richtofen" in that Blue/Light Grey camo pattern trialled on a Phantom.
Then there's the Dark Green Danish fighter-bomber?
And the Israeli fighter bomber, etc., etc., etc..

Cutting it out tonight. The "extra bits" for pylons, bombs (with fuse-extenders) are already sorted. Decals are ready, and the camo scheme is becoming defined in what passes for a brain.
Rock and roll.
It'll have a pilot, so no fancy cockpit detail required as the lid'll be shut.
:party:  :party:  :party:  :party:  :party:  :party:  :party:  :party:  :party:  :party:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

nev

QuoteI've researched and allocated a REAL F6 for building, from 56 Sqn, all natural metal with the Rising Phoenix badge on the fin and it's based in Cyprus, early '70s time. Used to intercept Turkish aircraft straying into the wrong airspace during and before their invasion of the island.
Already done one for a Chrimbo pressie a few years ago for my old man.  He was based at Akrotiri when the Turks invaded - me and mum came home & dad got to sleep under a simulator!  Them mum had an affair and they got divorced  :(  

Anyway, I would like to do an F1a or an F2 as a USN aggressor to simulate Mig-21s and Mig-25s  :wub:  I'd quite like to do another as a NASA test bird as I've got some Skyray decals for one of them on a Cutting Edge sheet.  :)  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

lancer

Radish doing a REAL aircraft??? The mind truely boggles.... ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

Still, go for it mate. Can't wait to see it.

QuoteAnyway, I would like to do an F1a or an F2 as a USN aggressor to simulate Mig-21s and Mig-25s

How about RAF aggressors Nev??

Radish

The RAF used Lightning F3s from the LTF as occasional "aggressors", and there's a photo of one with a red star on the fin when it took part in the Elder Forest Exercises in the early '80s. Unfortunately, of course, the rest of the aircraft is as standard, but why not stretch reality (again) and add a typical "Aggressor" finish to a Lightning (version of your choice, but I suggest either Mk.3 or Mk.6, but the 2A was reputed to be the "hottest") with RAF markings, but big bort numbers on the nose and a big red star on the fin?
:cheers:  

Ollie

Lightning with a 104 silhouette painted on the side to make it look like it goes real fast.

:ar:  

Radish

Ollie.......BRILLIANT.!!!!

(How about RCAF CF-104s with "Lightning" kills??)

Lancer, there's no "special story" I can tell about an Akrotiri based Lightning (or anything else?) is there??
:party:  :party:  

Gary

Unlimited racing teams.
the Budwiser CF-104G in Budwiser Livery
The Guiness BAC Lightning F3 in gloss black with the Gold Guiness logo on the tail
and so on.

However to sort of even the odds, the races take place between mountains and in canyons so flat out speed may not always be the best, ya still gotta turn the bugger.

"And ladies and gentelman the Tampax Pink SR-71 has slammed into Pikes Peak, don't bother with the ambulance."

I'm gonna have ta get an inkjet printer I think.
Getting back into modeling

Ollie

Or what about Daryl Greenmayer's red F-104 "Red Baron", the holder of the world speed record at low altitude?

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  

Hobbes

Pah. I'd beat him around the track in a 747.  

Ollie

I think not you teaser.