what if some alien race had ships that looked like fish?

Started by Sisko, March 19, 2010, 03:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sisko

This build resulted because of a challange on Starship modeller to build a starship out of stuff lying around.

It has taken me sometime to build this baby (about 2 years) and I decided to get it finished as it is just lying on my shelf staring at me everytime I sit at my desk.

I decided to post it here because I don't go to the forums at Starship modeller anymore.

Here are some in progress shots.

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Sisko

Here are some shots of it with lots more stuff attached and blended in.

I have also put down the first paint. As I am painting gloss, I am using enamels because I have never had any luck with gloss acrylic paints.

I am currently masking for the application of the second coat.

GTX

I always thought that's what the Minbari ships on Babylon 5 were supposed to resemble:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Sisko

dragon

There are UFOs (Unidentified Flying Object) and Unidentified Submerged Objects.  It would stand to reason that these latter vehicles might be more efficient if they had the shape of a fish and the same type of camouflage to boot. 

In the case of an invasion by these fish shaped vehicles, I suppose our best defense would be: Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto.
:cheers:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Ed S

I guess that really would be "Starkist" tuna. 

Good looking model.  Great use of "junk".  Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

NARSES2

Well the amphibians in Stingray had fish shape subs  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

RotorheadTX

Quote from: Sisko on March 19, 2010, 03:39:41 PM
I have also put down the first paint. As I am painting gloss, I am using enamels because I have never had any luck with gloss acrylic paints.

I've found the magic ingredient when paint gloss acrylics (esp. Gunze and Tamiya) is Mr. Color 'Leveling Thinner' the stuff has a retarder in it that REALLY works a treat. I know it can be difficult to find, but brother is it worth it!!

BlackOps

Sisko, you never disappoint! Very cool shape and I know the fish will be spectaular!  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Sisko

Thanks guys I really enjoy these kinds of builds. This was meant to be another Foss ship but I was flicking through a book on the great barrier reef when inspiration struck.

Level Thinner can't say I have ever heard of it. Thanks for that I'll have to give it a try. I would rather spray acrylics not enamels because I use acrylics everyday, to switch to enamels for one model is a major pain.

Does the leveling thinner help with the setting of the gloss? The biggest problem I found is that it seems to take forever for acrylic gloss to "go hard"

When I build my foss ship I gave the clear gloss coat 48hrs to set. I then laid it down on a tea towel to start decaling. When I finished that side and turned it over the clear gloss had the impression of the weave in the tea towel!

I was not amused.

I managed to get around that little hicup but vowed I would use it again.

Brian da Basher

My pet betta fish wants to know if she's single...

Your painting skills are out of this world, Sisko! It's such a treat everytime you post one of your magnificent projects!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Sisko

Well the masking tape came off and despite a few touch ups and a bit of paint seapage I am happy with the over all result.

The finish at the moment looks a little rough but I am hoping the third colour and some well placed decals should hide any major problems.

The third colour is being applied by brush as it would be to hard to try and do it with masking and an airbrush. I also want crisp demarcartion lines between the colours.

This is meant as a fun build and chance to really have some fun with the scheme. And it is working so well I am planning my next one!

Maybe a more traditional foss ship! :wacko:

wikxie

cthulhu77

:wub:  Very nice !  I gave up on using gloss colours completely, it's easier to use flat and then apply a gloss clearcoat for me.