Home on the Range - A SciFi diorama in 1/32 or 1/35 or something.

Started by puddingwrestler, March 14, 2010, 07:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puddingwrestler

Inspired by a small vehicle appearing in the very first Nemesis The Warlock story (Terror Tube - before it was even called 'Nemesis the Warlock')

I have come up with an idea for an SF diorama depicting 2000AD style future cowboys having dinner beside their vehicles. To this end I have acquired an Arii Mazda T2000 three wheeler truck,

a Mazda K360 three wheeled itty-bitty truck,
and a Toyopet taxi (which may not be used).

I'm using some Miniart (I think, might be ICM) russian figures and heavy-duty conversion work for the cowboys, there will porbably be a robot, and certainly a bionic arm. There will also be a sort of thing built from my SSGB gear.

I have commenced to start by removing most of the doors from the T2000 cab along with the wind shield. Tonight I'll putty things up and hopefully get some of the bodywork basics done; possibly including the instalation of the TBM Avenger fuselage halves.

For the moment, try to work out for yourself what the hell I am talking about. It'll be good mental exercise.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

buzzbomb

:o :o :o

Interesting forms and starting vehicles.. now beat them into shape ;D

Army of One

Er..............cool....I remember the vehicle now!!! Did you have any luck with Pocketbond/figures......the chap never got back to me......H
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

puddingwrestler

I have commenced to start work upon the body. From the cab back I'm scratch/bashing the whole thing. I have yet to glue the interior or cab back on, they are just wedged in for the photo, and I have not glued the rear body to anything yet. Some of the other parts are just sitting on things at present as well. There are epic gaps which I need to attend to, but that's normal for me when I scratch build.

I have also started some of the very basic construction work on a second vehicle, currenlty being called the 'AeroStallion' and made from SSGB parts.

Army: Have not contacted them yet. To be honest I probably will not. Can't be bothered waiting for components now; I was more interested in seeing if there was anything easily available.

Weaver

"Mental" exercise eh? Hmm........ ;)

Watching with interest... :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Army of One

Mr Pud........sorry about that....chap seemed helpful on the phone....hope all goes well......H
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Ed S

Fascinating, Mr PW.

Ed   <watching in eager anticipation...>
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

puddingwrestler

Here we see the 'AeroStallion' as it is currently known (although the name is to steampunk and will probably change), and the chuck wagon interior (I did that yesterday but did not take pics).
The AeroStallion is mostly SSGB parts; although the dark grey motorbike bits and the yellow bits from a schwimmwagen are from the stash.
The chuck wagon interior parts are moslty schwimmwagen or Ford Mutt with some N-Scale brick effect card for pedals.

puddingwrestler

Got some more work done on the chuck wagon.
The back still looks a bit messy, but it'll be covered by the canvas top. I've been working on HUGE exhausts (no vehicle can be without them) and the new front end/radiator assembly. I think there may even end up being a cow catcher on there now. I've also blutacked the fuselage halves on to end your mental anguish at trying to figure out what I would do with them.

BlackOps

Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Brian da Basher

Few can combine unrelated parts with your skill and madness, PW!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

puddingwrestler

oh I dunno... some of those parts are from the same kit...

Construction work on teh Aero Stallion is basically done - I have to add lights, but those will go on after painting as they are clear parts.
The mighty side engine cover things (fuselage bits) will be glued on soon, and I've covered the wing roots in radiators made from Tamiya 88 spares. Also added the canvas hoops to the back.

What, it has covered wagon style hoops. What were you expecting?

ChernayaAkula

That's way off the beaten paths... and that makes it even cooler!  :bow:

Following with interest!   :party:

All this is reminding me of something, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Something steampunk meets "Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs"?  :unsure:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

puddingwrestler

First let us examine the AeroStallion.

Note the air-intakes cunningly blended into the body and the sensual curve of the fuel tanks.

Note also the positioning of foot-rests and the attachment points of the seat framework.

And here we see the chuck wagon resting on it's side and it's laurels (it's hardies where not available for the shoot)

As yet only one side nacelle thingee has been attached - the other is takng a little longer to dry and requires some cunning putty work.

Note the tubing work around the radiator and the totally gratuitous air-intake on the belly. One can never have too many air intakes on a hover wagon.

And here we see the business end with it's mighty drive jets. Take note of the gracefull curve of the rear hoop frames to which a canvas hood will be attached. It's just not a western wagon without them. Note also that they have not been glued in, and are rather wonky in these pics.

Well, I need to get the other engine nacelle installed then plate over their undersides and blend it all in. Then it's just a matter of fitting various detail-i-watsits and so forth. And of course, building the third vehicle and figures and base. And so forth.
Oh yeah, the exhausts have been attached as well by this point, but they are on the other side.