Whiffed Defiants

Started by monkeyhanger, March 10, 2010, 09:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeyhanger

Spurred on by Sequoiaranger's comments on my first whiff, a Defiant I've been in the loft and got:

Three Airfix Defiant
Stuff from the spares box

The aircraft are going to be:

Remove the turret, add four 20mm cannon wing guns
Keep the turret, add 40mm cannon under the wings
Remove the turret, replace the Merlin with a Sabre

Here goes:

If this is Upper Silesia, one can only wonder what Lower Silesia is like.

kitbasher

Remove the turret, add four 20mm cannon wing guns - yes (and BP proposed something along those lines anyway)! 
Keep the turret, add 40mm cannon under the wings - you know I don't think a real version of this would get off the ground!  Drop the turret, I say!
Remove the turret, replace the Merlin with a Sabre - ooh yes - saves me having to do mine then!
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Modelling_Mushi

... or you could re-engine it with a later model Merlin engine and the extra grunt would be able to lift a turret and pair of 40mm cannon . . .
Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

NARSES2

Quote from: apophenia on March 10, 2010, 07:59:09 PM
kit' is probably right about turret weight and those Vickers. Two possibilities, substitute a lighter, two-gun turret or replace the turret with a flexible gun mount (twin Brownings or Vickers GO).

Now why dose that say "RAF Sturmovik" to me  ;D :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Radish

Oh I like that.
Add spats and it could become a divebomber!! :drink:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Army of One

kit' is probably right about turret weight and those Vickers. Two possibilities, substitute a lighter, two-gun turret or replace the turret with a flexible gun mount (twin Brownings or Vickers GO).

Oh I like that.....yes to the open rear gunners station...twin guns sound good....it does look a bit IL2 like.....up armour the nose n engine area...maybe as simple as externally the plate stuff like on the FW190A8 Sturmbok around the panels n an armoured windscreen....with a bigger engine......H   
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Weaver

Started this for the LIS GB but got bogged down fixing the crappy kit engine and then ran out of time:

Anson turret and skis, basically. No, the Anson turret does NOT "just fit" as I thought it did when I started.... :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

monkeyhanger

OK, Merlin engine isn't powerful enough and the kit's nose "leaves something to be desired". I have three spare Sabres (from the Matchbox Tempests, but as Mark IIs in the mid seventies) so how about:

Note that the tails have had to be removed, more torque from the biggger engines? So that leaves so scope for the tail ends. I'm keeping one with a Merlin, as you can see started to add the body putty........

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 11, 2010, 03:45:50 AM

Now why dose that say "RAF Sturmovik" to me  ;D :thumbsup:

My thoughts exactly!  ;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

GTX

Quote from: kitbasher on March 11, 2010, 12:23:36 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on March 11, 2010, 03:45:50 AM

Now why dose that say "RAF Sturmovik" to me  ;D :thumbsup:

My thoughts exactly!  ;D ;D

Yes - I noted some time ago, that if you de-turret a Defiant, you get a very Stumovik look:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

monkeyhanger

OK, lots of sanding to get the Sabres to fit, and then they fell off!!!! So, glue them back on, reinforce the joints, putty, sand.........

I've bought some Aeroclub Vokes filters to tidy up the Merlin engined version. Ok, not perfect but just an attempt to draw the eye away from the incorrect shape. also, these are desert aircraft, so a vokes filter would be used.

an added complication is I've just been offered 6 to 9 months work in Leicester. So, I can only carry on with portable projects except at weekends.