Identical roundels

Started by tigercat2, March 09, 2010, 12:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat2

In doing a bit of research on various roundels, I have noticed that some countries' markings are very close to some others.  Are there any aircraft roundels that are identical - the exact same for two or more countries?

Thanks very much for the answer.

Wes W.

Slerski

Hum... France and Paraguay (small difference with the blue but same shape and colors)
« Le MAGIC, c'est fantastique !! » [Sgt Vincent D., FAF armourer]

« Un Pétaf qui s'ennuie est un Pétaf dangereux... »

Ed S

The Netherlands and Czech are quite similar.  They both use a circle made of three triangular sections of red, blue & white.  Very easy to confuse.  Fortunately, they don't fly the same kinds of a/c.
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Slerski

Ah. I've forget Salvador and Greece. :)
« Le MAGIC, c'est fantastique !! » [Sgt Vincent D., FAF armourer]

« Un Pétaf qui s'ennuie est un Pétaf dangereux... »

apophenia

Individual country listings for Roundels of the World link to similar/identical markings.

http://cocardes.monde.online.fr/v2html/en/accueil.html

Mossie

Quote from: Slerski on March 09, 2010, 12:55:20 PM
Ah. I've forget Salvador and Greece. :)

Add in Argentina with those two, all slightly different shades of blue, otherwise identical.

WWII & immediate post war, several commonwealth countries (Canada, Australia, New Zealand) carried exactly the same roundel as the UK.  South Africa had an orange centre instead of red, otherwise identical.  Centre devices were changed post war to differentiate, but colours remained the same.

Belarus carries exactly the same red star as Russian aircraft.  Mongolia also uses the same star, with a pictogram overlaid.

South Vietnam used a variation of the US roundel, only with a red outline & red/yellow bars.

UK & Cost Rica are pretty much identical, except Costa Rica has a legend around the blue outer ring.

Several arab nations use very close variations on the same roundel, Egypt, Syria, some others but can't remember who (apo's link shows it's Yemen & a past roundel of Libya).

Turkey & Peru are identical.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

tigercat2

Thanks very much for this great info.  So, if there was an operation involving Turkish and Peruvian aircraft, it would be hard to tell the difference!!

Wes W.

Geoff

Turkey changed to the present roundel from the earlier square due to confusion with the red star of the USSR/Russia.

Fulcrum

Don't forget Montenegro & Japan (round red ball, but montenegro has a gold ring around their red ball), kinda odd as Montenegro declared war on Japan in support of Russia in the Russo-Japanese war...

& due to history, Montenegro forgot...
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

bartezzaghi

FA Peruana = Turchia AF (Turkey)
Romania AF = FA du Chad
AMI (Italy) = Burundi
Old Seychelles marking = AMI bassa visibilità (Italian AF low visibility marking)
Cameroun=PR of Congo=Ghana=Guinee
Estonia AF is very similar to Botswana AF

Ciao Ciao
Barte

rafi

Romanian and spanish republic roundels are very similar.

Weaver

A number of Central American countries use light blue and white like El Salvador. A lot of them also use a fin flash with horizontal blue-white-blue bands: they're differentiated by little badges/crests in the middle of the white band, but from 20ft away, they're indistinguishable.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '