P-3, CP-140, Electra

Started by Scooterman, March 30, 2004, 07:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scooterman

Can't keep this one in house anymore especially since somebody mentioned it a few weeks ago.

I'm half way thru my RAF Orion MR.2.  I wanted to base it off the P-7A with a stretch and new engines but I don't want to buy a C-130J kit just for the motors so it's back to a (basically) stock P-3 kit.

My issues are what to hang on this beast keeping in mind what a Nimrod could carry and airframe mods.

Sea Eagle were a first guess, but I don't think they were ever cleared for a Nimrod.  And I guess Nimrods were capable of slinging a few Harpoons but a US weapon on a US aircraft just looks like a P-3 with RAF markings.  But Sea Eagles just look the part and I have a few Sea Skua to hang out there for smaller targets.  Oh and of course a pair of Winders to keep the bad guys away.  

As for doing something different to the aircraft itself, I've already removed the MAD (not really nessessary mid '90s time peroid) and added a small radome under the rear fuselage.  A IFR probe is a must.  Anything else I missed?

As always, thanks for the input guys.  It really does help me to keep the projects going.

:cheers:
Brad

F-32

The RAF Nimrods have rear camera stations built into the underside of the rear fuselage and also bubble windows for the crew to take pictures.  They also have the 7 million candle light in the wing pod for SAR and some sensors in the wing tip stations.

How about a tail gun......................a gattling gun :dum:  

Geoff_B

Hi Scoot

Nimrods could carry the AS-37 Martel from which the Sea Eagle developed, so if using the ones in an airfix Buccaneer then use the shorter radome and no air scoop. The RAF selected Harpoon rather than Sea Eagle for the Nimrods.

Other armament could include twin Sidewinder rails, BQZ chaff pods, wingtip ECM/ESM pods. If you wait till the Airix Tornado GR4 comes out then Storm Shadow should be available. Put the Sea Skua on a twin or triple Pylon for that little bit of difference.

Cheers

Thor B)  

elmayerle

Well, the P-7A had a new, larger wing, too.  You might look at adding a constant chord/profile section at each wing root.  Another possibility, if you've got a beefed up landing gear is to go back to the original Electra forward fuselage length and stretch the weapons bay.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Captain Canada

Are you gonna paint it up in Hemp colours ?

Mmmm....hemp..........

Also, I've got a spare set of Herc engines floating around. What's the difference betwix them and the Aurora ones ? I can pass them along to you, or swap for your Orion ones ?

Chimo !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Ollie

Toad, same engine but not same nacelle.  Aurora nacelles are like Convair 580 nacelles.  Hercules have intake under instead of above!

;)  

Captain Canada

Ahhh....now that you mention it, it's too obvoius !

B)  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

elmayerle

Though I do believe Orion nacelles, at least the forward portions of them, were considered for the flying boat version of the Hercules.

The Rat

Quote...I don't want to buy a C-130J kit just for the motors ...
A company called Engines and Things does Allison T56s, you can order them through greatmodels.com Part # ent72001 (Thanks to the other guys on this board for giving me that info just a few weeks ago!)

For props, and ditto on the thanks, you can get those paddle blades from Aeroclub, Product Code: P067 Name: 4 x HAMILTON STD 4 BLD 14' DIA CUFFED
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

elmayerle

QuoteFor props, and ditto on the thanks, you can get those paddle blades from Aeroclub, Product Code: P067 Name: 4 x HAMILTON STD 4 BLD 14' DIA CUFFED
He said C-130J.  He wants the new six-bladed props used by the C-130J and the C-27J.

Matt Wiser

Here's several other possible P-3 operators: all were considering the P-3 or actually requested Orions but were refused.

France: Lockheed made an offer as an alternate to the Atlantic 2

West Germany: P-3s offered in late 70s, Would have been a P-7 customer had the program not been axed.

Taiwan: Repeated requests for Orions since 1980, habitually refused.

Italy:Would have had Orions in 1976 if not for a bribery scandal.

Indonesia: Considered P-3s at various times since 1970, but failed to purchase for various reasons.

Singapore: Too expensive, bought F-27-400MPs instead.

A possible future operator is India, as a Il-38/Tu-142 replacement; also possible are both Saudi Arabia and the UAE; Egypt also considering Orions.
Treat everyone you meet with kindness and respect; but always have a plan to kill them.

Old USMC adage

The Rat

QuoteFor props, and ditto on the thanks, you can get those paddle blades from Aeroclub, Product Code: P067 Name: 4 x HAMILTON STD 4 BLD 14' DIA CUFFED
He said C-130J.  He wants the new six-bladed props used by the C-130J and the C-27J.
Your Honour, we plead insanity.  :wacko:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Aircav

Well heres what the Nimrod MRA.4 should look like

http://www.mod.uk/dpa/projects/contents.htm

and here is the MoD projects page

http://www.mod.uk/dpa/projects.htm

I see that the Navy dropped a Merlin yesterday................that'll be £60m please sir, Doh!
I also see the the MoD has been taking money off peter to pay paul, nicking money off the EFA project to pay for the Gulf war, why not just take it off the Iraqis ? :P
:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Nigel Bunker

And here's what a Nimrod MRA.4 currently looks like:
Nimrod MRA.4
Life's too short to apply all the stencils

Scooterman

QuoteAre you gonna paint it up in Hemp colours ?

Mmmm....hemp..........

You betcha!   :wub:  :wub: But I think one tin on Humbrol might not cover it.  Hafta look this weekend.

Speaking of colour, what's the grey on the belly of a Nimrod?  Thought I had that somewhere.

Brad