Dornier with a differnce

Started by Martin H, March 29, 2004, 01:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin H

Heres the Dornier 435, combi pwered fighter.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Captain Canada

looking good, Mr. Higgs !  Neat idea ! I've always liked that 335.....such a big and powerful looking bird. Also like the gray camos. One of my favourite all time builds was an Airfix Boomerang in the same scheme !

And now that you mention it....if you took the prop completely off and added an intake, I think it would make a pretty neat looking all-jet a/c !

Keep up the great work !

Toadman :wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

matrixone

Marten,

Great looking model, wish I had one in my collection!

Is that a conversion or a new kit of the Do 435?

Matrixone  :cheers:  

Tophe

QuoteWhen do we get to see the Do 635?
Mixing Wooksta 635 and Martin 435, my 435Z... What-if...? :)  
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

Quoteif you took the prop completely off and added an intake, I think it would make a pretty neat looking all-jet a/c !
And now the Toad Do 835... Thanks! :)  

Martin H

I like your ideas Tophe  :)

Lee shes a matchbox 335 (the one u cut ready to have a go your self). And yes it was a Unicraft conversion
And the paint job was the basic first option from the old frog Kit

As for the 635....have patiance dear boy she is someware down the line on the build cue  ;)

I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Captain Canada

Quoteif you took the prop completely off and added an intake, I think it would make a pretty neat looking all-jet a/c !
And now the Toad Do 835... Thanks! :)
Looks good, Tophe...but you need to trash the Caprioni intakes, and add something smooth and graceful, like on the Sabre !

Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tophe

QuoteAs for an all jet Do 335, Dornier did propose one, but the engines were to be under the wings with a solid nose and tail.  Try the Luft 46 site if you don't believe me: dop256.html
or Unicraft
Dear Meece  :)  did post a 3-view drawing of his Do P.256Z, a long time ago, when this site was in the Kithobbyist gallery. He was a nice man, alas he does not come here anymore it seems :(  

Tophe

Quoteyou need to trash the Caprioni intakes, and add something smooth and graceful, like on the Sabre !
I am always willing to improve the beauty of an airplane :)  I will turn the front part into a Sabre-like nose, good direction thanks, but tell me how long ? Short like a F-86 ? Where would be the front jet engine? :huh:

About the rear air-intakes, you are right ;) , everywhere on the Net is a single dorsal one for the Do 435, while my source (not Caproni at all, but Luftwaffe Secret Projects /Fighters /Midland :) , page 110) used the lateral ones I have drawn. I can change, but a 3-view drawing would help me... Could someone post one? (explaining where it comes from, to bring interested new clients for the book or kit, this is not piracy, just free advertisement among friends... :unsure: )

elmayerle

Quoteyou need to trash the Caprioni intakes, and add something smooth and graceful, like on the Sabre !
I am always willing to improve the beauty of an airplane :)  I will turn the front part into a Sabre-like nose, good direction thanks, but tell me how long ? Short like a F-86 ? Where would be the front jet engine? :huh:

About the rear air-intakes, you are right ;) , everywhere on the Net is a single dorsal one for the Do 435, while my source (not Caproni at all, but Luftwaffe Secret Projects /Fighters /Midland :) , page 110) used the lateral ones I have drawn. I can change, but a 3-view drawing would help me... Could someone post one? (explaining where it comes from, to bring interested new clients for the book or kit, this is not piracy, just free advertisement among friends... :unsure: )
For the front engine, how about bifurcated exhaust pipes exiting something like the exhausts on an Ha-220 or perhaps in a similar, but smoother fashion, to the side exhausts of the Fw.190TL.  As for the rear inlet, check out Unicraft's Effort for a single-seater with a single inlet or this site for a two-seater with split inlets.  I think both may have been studied, accounting for the differences in inlets.

Hope this helps,
Evan
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Tophe

QuoteFor the front engine, how about bifurcated exhaust pipes exiting something like the exhausts on an Ha-220 or perhaps in a similar, but smoother fashion, to the side exhausts of the Fw.190TL.
As for the rear inlet, check out Unicraft's Effort for a single-seater with a single inlet or this site for a two-seater with split inlets.  I think both may have been studied, accounting for the differences in inlets.

Hope this helps,
Evan
Thanks Evan, this helps a lot! (and thanks Unicraft for the 3-view drawing on line with the conversion kit proposal)... :)

For the rear exhausts, I do not know... Probably, short pipes would be more efficient than long ones, I know (that is the reason of the twin-boom layout of many jet aircraft of the 40s), but lateral exhausts would not change enough the lines for my collection of shapes - you know I am just a dreamer... ^_^

Besides, reading the Wooksta's words, I said to myself "what about turning the so nice Tank/Wooksta Ta152Z into a jet ?" :)  I have done it, and I did the same with a few other ones, similar, somehow.
Maybe I will also turn them into Vampire like twin-boomers, and that will make a full page for my next book... Thanks dear you all... :)  :)  

Tophe

QuoteLooks good, Tophe...but you need to trash the Caproni intakes, and add something smooth and graceful, like on the Sabre !
Cheers !
Here is she :wub: , Captain... Yes sir! :)
Cheers back, and thanks again, Evan, Wooksta, Toad, my friends :)  

Tophe

Oops, rather unbalanced, seen here :( ... I will move the wings backward.

Captain Canada

...and you can get rid if the intake atop the fuselage.....it's in the nose !

Looking good !

Now...how about a twin C-17...or a double decked fuselage C-17 ?

B)  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tophe

Quote...and you can get rid if the intake atop the fuselage.....it's in the nose !
I don't understand, Captain... I thought the goal was to turn the Do 435 composite into a twin-jet, not into a pure single jet, have I misunderstood ? Well, I understand there could be 2 jet engines fed from the same intake, is it what you meant ? It is rather easy on a plane like a twin-engined F-16, with the port and starboard parts of the air intake feeding 2 separate engines, side by side, but with 2 axial jets, it seems awfully complicated, no ? The Lockheed L-153-8 used 2 air-intakes for such a layout, front nose + rear atop...