Israeli upgrade F-4 Phantom

Started by chrisonord, February 26, 2010, 09:52:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

This build is a continuation of an idea I put up on the ideas thread. The kit is the Italeri F-4S in 1/72nd scale, and comprises of many internal and external upgrades and changes. Firstly I have fitted conformal fuel tanks to the fuselage, these are not very big tanks compared to those used on say the F-15e for example.The aircraft retains its 2 seater cockpit, but now has a bubble canopy identical to that fitted to the F-16 2 seater.
The radar is replaced with the APG 70, the same one as fitted to the F-15E, also LANTIRN pods can be fitted in the forward AIM-7 Sparrow recesses or the forward fuselage. The aircraft now carries a tail fin mounted A.D.A.R system,( Airborne Detection And Recognition) which monitors the surrounding airspace for other aircraft and missile threats.The engines have been replaced by a modified pair of P&W F-100, 229's
As this aircraft is being tendered for the Honduras air force, it has the capability of carrying U.S, Isaraeli, and European ordnance.
This aircraft will also be fitted with an extra pair of wing pylons, these new outer pylons will carry either short range AAM's ECM pods or a mixture of both.
Stay tuned for work in progress pics, as I am struggling with the weather and limited use of my right hand.
Cheers.
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Spey_Phantom

sounds awesome  :o
i did a similar build last weekind in 1/144, i did have to modify and dremel out the tailsection to accomodate the F100 exsausts. i dont know if thats going to be the same in 1/72.

looking forward to progress pics  ;D
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

chrisonord

Hya Nils,
I have tried fitting the F-15e exhaust nozzles to the phantom and they are way too big, even with some modification, so if I can't get another set to fit right I could be using the original nozzles, well it is a whiff after all ;D
I wanted to put a pair of AGM-142's on it, but they are just too big by the looks of it, so a pair of SLAM missiles might be going on or a pair of LGB's.
Cheers,
Chris.

Spey_Phantom

hm, i had the same problem in 1/144, but i do have an idea in mind for a second upgraded phantom.
but i would use the F404 or F414 engines from an F/A-18 hornet or super hornet, EJ200's from a eurofighter might work to  :rolleyes:
i always thought the phantom would lok good with storm shadow or taurus (since the landing gears of the typhoon and F-4 are about the same height)  ;D

good luck with the build  :mellow:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

chrisonord

Here are some pictures of what I have done so far with my upgrade Phantom. The hump behind the cockpit is an avionics suite and also helps to blend the new F-16 canopy in.

Cheers,
Chris. 

Sauragnmon

She's looking good so far, Chris, keep up the good work.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

chrisonord

I have finally found a pair of exhaust nozzles that will fit reasonably well for this, many thanks go to Sauragmon for the idea.
I have "borrowed" a pair from a Mig-29 UB in the stash, and they look pretty good.
Cheers,
Chris.

chrisonord

Here is what I have done so far with the F-4, I just need to arm it put some legs on it and decal it then she is done. I will be putting Honduras markings on this aircraft, seen as it has been rebuilt for their air force. The colour scheme is an experimental one that is under evaluation by the Honduras A.F, and if all goes to plan, the company that built the F-4, will get the contract to repaint the air forces air superiority and multi role aircraft.

Cheers,
Chris.

Sauragnmon

The colours work beautifully on it, very interesting progress on it - and the RD-33 cans blend quite well, which is excellent.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Taiidantomcat

That is just excellent in shape and form. Great lines. But that Camo is what drops my jaw the most  :bow: What colors did you use?
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

chrisonord

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on March 04, 2010, 01:59:14 PM
That is just excellent in shape and form. Great lines. But that Camo is what drops my jaw the most  :bow: What colors did you use?
Cheers for the comments  :thumbsup:
The colours I used on it were, Tamiya dark sea grey for the base coat and underside, top side I used Tamiya IJN dark grey,sky grey, med blue,and Valejo  pale blue grey. I was going to put a bit of green in there, but I thought better of it  ;D
Cheers,
Chris.

Brian da Basher

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on March 04, 2010, 01:59:14 PM

Concur. That scheme is a wonder to behold!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

noxioux

That does have some interesting lines. . . :thumbsup:

chrisonord

earlier on I decided on a loadout for this bird, and put a SEAD set up on it. I have put a pair of HARM's on a pair of Delilah's an ecm pod on the right outboard pylon, twin sidewinders on the left outboard pylon, in the forward sparrow recess there is a LANTIRN pod, and inhabiting the rear recesses is a pair of Aim- 120's. All I need now is a 1/48th scale F-16 centre line tank, and its done.
Cheers,
Chris.

Eddie M.

The idea and camo are top notch! ;D
Look behind you!