Natural metal finish for Tupolev airliner: what color to use?

Started by Hobbes, February 25, 2010, 10:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

My Tupolev 114 needs to be in natural metal, but I can't decide which is the right color.

Alclad have these shades

and the best picture I have of the original is this:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Aeroflot/Tupolev-Tu-114/0103958/L/&sid=6629dc06c21c47801c7c4f5738d7a658

I've read somewhere that the finish shouldn't be too glossy, but other than that...

Any thoughts?

PR19_Kit

I've seen two Tu-114s before and shiny they were NOT! #102 looks about right for most of it I'd say.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

After more than 4 years, I've finished this contraption. This thing fought me every step of the way, needing several rounds of airbrushing, then the decals fell apart when I tried to apply them.

I'm glad I can remove it from the 'unfinished' pile, to say the least.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

Thanks. It's the BraZ conversion set (fuselage, wing inserts) mated to Trumpeter Tu-95 bits (wings, engines).  1/144.

sandiego89

Nice.  Natural metal metal is so tough, and it looks great. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Hobbes on January 20, 2013, 09:28:22 AM
Thanks. It's the BraZ conversion set (fuselage, wing inserts) mated to Trumpeter Tu-95 bits (wings, engines).  1/144.

Ah, I should have guessed, sorry. Ivo does a great job on stuff like that, but I've never seen one of his -114s completed before, it's a VERY impressive job you've done there!

Regards
Kit

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

TsrJoe

neat modelling Harro, very impressive when finished indeed  :thumbsup:

cheers, Joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Dizzyfugu

Revell's Aqua Color 'Aluminum' does a very good job when you need something like alu dope or a matt metal finish. Recently tried it out (for contrast panels on Metallizer surfaces), and I am positively surprised how well and even it can be applied by brush, and the fine finish it leaves. Very fine pigments, too.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Beautiful work Harro, lovely. :wub: Given me some inspiration for a more modern project. :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Hobbes

Thanks guys,

I've made some more photos, taking advantage of a nice day with better lighting:

Dizzyfugu