MZ in Sutton closing......

Started by Army of One, February 22, 2010, 04:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Army of One

Don't know if this is the right place to put this but while shopping in Sutton Surrey I saw that Modelzone is closing down.....sign said everything must go but no more than sale stock reduced......shame it's closing......lucky I just moved to Crawley.
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

NARSES2

Thanks for the heads up. I'll jump on a train from Croydon
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Army of One

Quite a decent one in Croydon,Crawley's not to bad but I got more in my stash! Kingston not to bad n not to far from Croydon. There is a hobbycraft in Crawley as well,bout only place I can find evergreen stuff other than using post.
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

PR19_Kit

Huh! The chance would be a fine thing, there aren't ANY MZs in Wales, Scotland, or East Anglia really. The nearest to me are Plymouth, Basingstoke or Plymouth, might as well be on Mars....  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

beowulf

as long as the one in nottingham dosnt close.............i only go in to listen to led zep, sabbath and rammstein......always seem to have it on  ;D ;D ;D
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Tojo633

All

The closure of any shop is not a pleasant story for the staff we lost a Toymaster here in Aberdeen, I missed most of the bargains too. MZ story is similar to Beatties who for many years (early to mid 80s) only had branches South of the border, seem to recall some sort of deal or offer maybe through a mag possibly but was a waste of time for us in Scotland. Anyway we have a fairly large Hobbycraft in Aberdeen now, it was reasonably well stocked for xmas but not been in it lately but plenty of sundries.

cheers
Sandy

thedarkmaster

Modelzone in Scotland, who knows maybe their talking about shop leases now..........I couldn't possibly say.
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Mossie

Shame to hear that.  We've been lucky recentley, negelected for years then Hull got a Hobbycraft & a Modelzone within a few months of each other.  Hobbycraft is okay, but I've been quite impressed with Modelzone, there have been some good sale items & the place always seems busy.  Staff never work though, always too busy playing with helicopters! ;) ;) ;)

My only worry is that there is a model shop close by that has been there many years, every time I go in there seems to be less stock.  I remember talking to them about Hobbycraft, they were quite happy about it & thought it might actually help them, I hope the Modelzone opening doesn't kill them off.  One advantage for me is that I can get into HC & MZ after work, I can only get to the model shop on Fridays if I'm lucky.  Also, the ever dwindling stock has a knock on effect, I'm less likely to find what I'm after.  Unfortunately I've seen this kind of thing happen before & it's usually a slippery slope. :(
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Army of One

I feel for the staff in there,they are usually very friendly n do try to help. My first job when I left school was working in beatties (modelzone) in Kingston,r/c n railway stuff n toys downstairs n models upstairs. Oh n the staff discount was awesome on some manufacturers,still got some in my stash from then,1984!
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

NARSES2

Quote from: Army of One on February 22, 2010, 08:56:51 AM
Quite a decent one in Croydon,

It's fairly good and some of the staff are very good. Shame the plastic is in the basement though with all the RC and "Chuckies" upstairs.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Radish

MZ in Derby is very good....the staff even frequent here!! Currently (ie last week!!) lots of Hunters and Lightnings. Might pop in tomorrow. ;D
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Ian the Kiwi Herder

As our friend Tojo633 says any model/hobby shop closure is a poor thing, sad to hear.

Yep our Beatties in Liverpool turned-into a MZ. Up until last summer I hadn't been in to L'pool city centre for years and years. But with the new 'Liverpool One' development, parking is so easy now, I might give it a go again.

On a related thing, NARSES if you see any more of those HB A-7's at £7.99, snag-me-one (it's the same price that I have on ALL of my Fujimi ones, and it's a more detailed kit..... it would be rude not to !!)

Ian

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

lancer

Whnen I first 'discovered;' MZ, it was the Guilford branch. It was only small but packed the the gunwhales with stuff, and Gunze paint. Recently, I've noticed MZ only doing Revell and airfix kits almost exclusively, and a large increase in die cast and r/c stuff. But they're still the best high street model store around though. I must try and get to Basingstoke again and se ewhart they've got.

Also on a slightly different tack, I always preferred geedee models in Nottingham to the MZ in there.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

thedarkmaster

Asked at work today and it's more likely a relocation or refit no known closures in the company.  ;D  ;D  ;D
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

bluedonkey99

Last time I went to the one in Croydon they had  a woman in the basement ! :blink:

At first I thought se was lost, then realised she was a member of staff!!   :thumbsup: