1/144 F-4X Phantom III

Started by Spey_Phantom, February 21, 2010, 03:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

Back History:

in 1999, Israel and the US decided to revamp the canceled F-4X project as both countries were in need of a new high performance fighter/reccon plane and other NATO phantom users (Germany, Greece & Turkey) wer looking at upgrading its fleet of phantoms. the upgrade program was designated "Phuture Phantom" and was a similar upgrade to the EPAF F-16MLU upgrade, except for some radical new changes. some new features included the replacement of the J-79 with 2 P&W F100-PW212 engines, all new glass cockpit, full compatibility with the latest weapons such as the JDAM, AMRAAM, AIM-9X/IRIS-T, Harpon ASM,....

however, in 2001, with the project costing more then the aircraft itself, Boeing decided to build the F-4X as new production aircraft (took over the pattent from MDD after the merger in the 90's) it was the first time that Boeing was building a new phantom after a 16 year hiatus. the reason was that it was cheaper to build the aircraft new and installing all the upgrades on the production line, the cost was conciderably lower then the F-15E, some $60 million a piece. the USAF was the first customer for the F-4X, placing an order for 85 aircraft for use as Wild Weasels, replacing the F-4G and F-16CJ, reason was that the F-16 didnt have the range, payload and insufficient space for new ECM electronics and jamming equipment. the USAF also placed an order for 30 EF-4X Jamming aircraft to replace the EF-111A and 24 RF-4X's as high speed recconaicance aircraft.

Israel placed an order for 64 aircraft, redesignated F-4I and RG-4I (12 units). F-4X's were also sold to Greece (48 F-4X and 10 RF-4X) and Turkey (60 F-4X and 24 RF-4X). Germany decided to cancel its planned order for 64 aircraft and bought the eurofighter Typhoon instead.

the model:

baseline model im gonna use is the 1/144 revell F-4E/J, witch already comes with a great inaccurate canopy (F-15 style). modifications im planning to add are:

-conformal feul tanks
-F100 engines (from a 1/144 F-15 kit, tail will need tailoring)
-AGM-88 Harpoon
-2 or 4 JDAM's
-AIM-54 Phoenix

im also gonna see how far i can go for modifying the wings and landing gear.
here's a pic of the model under assembly, i dont know what markings im gonna use yet  :huh:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

almost finished (except for decals, nose paint & weapons).
and i decided to make her up as a US Navy carrier fighter (VF-101 "Grim Reapers").
i fitted it with 2 CFT's on the upper fuselage and 2 CFT's under the fuselage with AIM-54 attachments.
i found a pair of AIM-9L's that im now modifying into -9X's.
i still have 2 empty pylons left, thinking of mounting a pair of AGM-84 harpoon's.

here's a littel tease  ;D
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Nils on February 21, 2010, 03:01:40 AM
Back History:

In 1999, Israel and the US decided to revamp the canceled F-4X project........

Only partially.....   -_-
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Spey_Phantom

the Phantom is Phinished  ;D

made up in the markings of VF-101, based on the USS Carl Vinson in 2004, while on duty in the Persian Gulf.

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

JJC

what a PHANTASTIC PHABULOUS PHANTOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great work, lloks awesome :wacko:
KEEP THE VULCAN FLYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PR19_Kit

Gooooood thinking, and nicely built too.

What did you use for the conformal tanks?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 21, 2010, 02:19:36 PMWhat did you use for the conformal tanks?

They appear to be sourced from a 1/144th scale Mirage 2000 or a Rafale.  Both aircraft carry this style of fuel tank.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Spey_Phantom

the upper CFT's are indeed from a revell 1/144 Rafale-M, i thought these had the best shape for it.
i also cut up a pair of smaller tanks from a 1/144 F-7MG kit to use in the seamless intakes.

i have another phantom in the stash, perhaps i can build another one in RAF markings with EJ200 engines  :lol:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Taiidantomcat

That is great love the markings too  :wub:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

JoeP

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.