Gun equipped Tank Hunters: Hetzer, Elefant, Kanone and so many more ...

Started by ysi_maniac, February 19, 2010, 06:30:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysi_maniac

I know there was another thread devoted to this theme but in GB subforum: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,23920.0

Has any profiler tried a turreted Hetzer?  :thumbsup: ... I know, it would not be a tank killer ;D but I am thinking obsesively in this idea ... :banghead:
Will die without understanding this world.

NARSES2

I'm assuming you mean a more modern turret then the origional tank design ? If so how about an M3 or M5 light tank turret ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

ysi_maniac

^^^^
Yes, I do not mean Praga. I mean a turret with a small/medium gun (like Luchs, for example) to make a recon tank (like Luchs, for instance ;D )

rickshaw

You mean like the SdKfz 140/1?

Basically a 38t hull with a modified superstructure and a SdKfz 222 turret.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

ysi_maniac

Something like this?, found in this amazing site: http://alternathistory.org.ua/node?page=1

JoeP

A Hetzer or Stug with a turret as well as the main gun, like the Lee/Grant and Char B2? It would be more difficult, since the centrally-mounted breach would be harder to work around than the US and French tanks' offset guns.

I had this idea, a limited variation of that theme:

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

dy031101

How about this combo: Panzer III chassis, Hetzer-style internal arrangement with long-barrel 75mm gun (modified to be loaded from the left) to the right hand side, and Panzer 35(t) turret to the left hand side?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

ysi_maniac

Some interesting ideas here ... Stug III, hetzer, turret ... Thinking hard :unsure: :thumbsup:

rickshaw

Quote from: dy031101 on February 22, 2010, 08:14:47 PM
How about this combo: Panzer III chassis, Hetzer-style internal arrangement with long-barrel 75mm gun (modified to be loaded from the left) to the right hand side, and Panzer 35(t) turret to the left hand side?

Apart from being tremendously cramped, I can't see much point in it.  You'd need to raise the hull significantly and even then, like the M3 Grant/Lee medium tank you'd encounter the problems of having your main armament in the hull and not the turret which leads to all sorts of problems when trying to adopt hull down positions.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

I'd imagine a Panzer I turret would be the ideal for close defence of a Jagdpanzer. Any infantry team is likely to be sneaking rather than charging, so you're going to need a high volume of rifle-calibre fire at short range: two MG-34s should do nicely... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

ysi_maniac

dy031101

Quote from: rickshaw on February 24, 2010, 02:31:02 AM
You'd need to raise the hull significantly and even then, like the M3 Grant/Lee medium tank you'd encounter the problems of having your main armament in the hull and not the turret which leads to all sorts of problems when trying to adopt hull down positions.

I was indeed thinking along the line of the M3 Medium......

But then again, I after suggesting the scheme couldn't recall Axis forces being known to use their 37mm as an anti-personnel weapon like the US did......

====================

To-do list here

ysi_maniac

dy031101

Quote from: ysi_maniac on March 03, 2010, 09:38:32 AM
And ideas for Elefant ... it is so COOL :mellow:

Maverick did a Flakpanzer Elefant (with Gepard turret)  :thumbsup:...... could also mount a howitzer turret instead, too.

====================

To-do list here

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: dy031101 on March 03, 2010, 11:24:05 AM
<...> could also mount a howitzer turret instead, too.

I'm pretty sure Greg did a profile of one of those, but I can't find it at the moment.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?