P-80 USAAC

Started by Ed S, February 18, 2010, 09:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed S

Going with our local club theme for this years contest, here's my latest.  This is an Airfix 1/72 F-80, done as an operational P-80 in Europe.  The theme is "What If WWII lasted into 1946 and beyond".  The kit is mostly build straight out of the box.  I added some of the 3 tube rocket launchers from the spares box.  Decals came from the spares box also.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Jeffry Fontaine

Nice work!  OD over LG is one of my favorite color schemes. 

Did you consider using the paper style drop tanks ?  I think that would have really set it apart for the period. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

nev

I really like that - very simple yet very effective :wub:
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

tanktastic43

Neat and tidy. Good job.  :thumbsup:

tt43.

dragon

I still haven't given in to temptation to do a 1946 FAEM (Mexican Expeditionary Air Force) P-80....Mind strong...Body weak...How long can I stand it! :drink:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

MiB

Very Goog job!! :wub:
Or...if they had been fastest in developing the project, could enter the war already in 45 :)
this post may trigger a whole series of models on the same topic, uh? Imagine other planes... :mellow: (R-4 helicopter modified for ground attack in Poland or france, for example)
My virtual repaint site: http://hangarofmib.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------
-"Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we cruise around in a Ford POS?"

-"Nothing is as it seems, guy!"

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: nev on February 18, 2010, 10:48:29 PMI really like that - very simple yet very effective :wub:

I heartily agree. Perfect "What If", simply perfect.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

NARSES2

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on February 19, 2010, 12:38:33 AM
Quote from: nev on February 18, 2010, 10:48:29 PMI really like that - very simple yet very effective :wub:

Ian

I'd like to be associated with these comments. Great stuff and my favourite type of wiffery  :thumbsup: :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jorel62

Great job...... :thumbsup: The paper tanks would of look good too. But, who cares Looks great.

Brian da Basher

An absolute stunner, Ed! I really like the rocket tubes. Nice touch.
:wub: :wub:
Brian da Basher

The Rat

Lovely job on that! I had the same one on the bench last year, intended to be a Tuskegee Airmen example. Stuffed up the paint job royally so now I need to pick up another one.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Captain Canada

Just gorgeous....every now and then you see a plane that you want to pick up and start flying around the room...and that's one of them !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

ysi_maniac

So believable, so perfect! :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :thumbsup:
I mean perfect concept and execution!
Will die without understanding this world.

The Rat

By the way, I notice you made the one assembly error that has stung a lot of us, me included...  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Mossie

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 19, 2010, 01:13:41 AM
Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on February 19, 2010, 12:38:33 AM

Ian

I'd like to be associated with these comments. Great stuff and my favourite type of wiffery  :thumbsup: :bow:

Well, I might as well jump on the band-wagon!  I'm not a fan of the P-80 (simply aesthetic) but I love this model, great work Ed! :wub: :wub: :wub:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.