Re;the 'new' airfix 1/72 Buccaneer...

Started by Army of One, February 08, 2010, 01:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Army of One

.......I have been looking on the airfix website and it is in one of the new red boxes. I know not all the new red boxed models are new tools.....couldn't find any info on the limited search I did,does anyone know if this a new tool m if so,how good is it please?
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Supertom

Nope, it's the good ol' old tool, with new bits for a Granby Bucc.  Still, if you bought that kit, and got the bits from Aeroclub, it's still a lot less than the pricier CMK kit.
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

Army of One

BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

ChrisF

I built the old one "when't i were a lad".. nice simple build... Nothing too fancy but it went together real well... I can see why they kept the old tool as its a good base for better detail...

philp

Any info on what "new bits" are included?  Any new cockpit parts?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Mossie

IIRC you should be able to build pretty much any variant based on the S.2 from the kit bits.  So LGB's, Sidewinders, AN/ALQ-101 & Pave Spike for the Granby versions, extra large Slipper tank for the SAAF versions.  Think it already has options for the flush & bulged weapons bays, with TV Martel, radar Martel plus datalink pod, Sea Eagle & RAF slipper tanks.  I doubt it'll have any cockpit detail, possible, but it's not Airfix's way!

Sounds like a 'Weapons set with free kit' affair!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: Mossie on February 09, 2010, 04:35:27 AM

if that's the case simon, then its something airfix have done before several times.

lets see

:tornado: GR4
:tornado: F3
  jaguar GR3

all updated from elderly-ish kits with extra weapons sprues.
Keeper of George the Cat.

Mossie

It's quite a good thing, some dedicated weapons sets have similar amounts of ordnance & cost the same or more.  The GR.4 is worth getting for the weapons & to slap the mods onto the Revell kit!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Quote from: Mossie on February 09, 2010, 04:35:27 AM
IIRC you should be able to build pretty much any variant based on the S.2 from the kit bits.  So LGB's, Sidewinders, AN/ALQ-101 & Pave Spike for the Granby versions, extra large Slipper tank for the SAAF versions.  Think it already has options for the flush & bulged weapons bays, with TV Martel, radar Martel plus datalink pod, Sea Eagle & RAF slipper tanks.  I doubt it'll have any cockpit detail, possible, but it's not Airfix's way!

It would need AS.30s to do all the SAAF options.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

kitnut617

Quote from: Howard of Effingham on February 09, 2010, 04:46:32 AM
if that's the case simon, then its something airfix have done before several times.
lets see
:tornado: GR4
:tornado: F3
 jaguar GR3

all updated from elderly-ish kits with extra weapons sprues.

You can add the Airfix Club Harrier GR.7 to that list, apparently the extra sprue only comes in this release (so I've been told )
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Hobbes

That Harrier LGB sprue looks very much like one of the Tornado GR4 sprues.