AvBrD 1150 Altantic MR.1 Coastal Command 1965ish

Started by TallEng, February 07, 2010, 03:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TallEng

Pull up a Lantern and swing the sandbag and I'll tell you a story......
The Christmas before last I bought my son a Revell Atlantic 1 in 1/72, which after he finished it quite impressed me, so...
Later on that year whilst waiting for SWMBO (shopping for important things!) I was browsing the local toy shop, when I found a
The Revell Atlantic "MFG 3 Anniversary" kit at HALF PRICE! so without further ado I bought it for the stash and thought nothing more.
Much later on (whilst researching Neptune's and Shackletons) for my Privateer project, I came upon the interesting fact (to me) that
Avro had been a partner with Breguet, Sud Aviation, Fokker and Dornier to build the winner of the NATO competition to replace the Privateer (Neptune in RW)....
So Assuming that Avro had settled its unhappiness with the Honeycomb sandwich construction adopted by the French, and convinced their Airships that twin turboprops were as good if not better than four pistons....
They decided to knock the Shackleton MR.3 on the head and start a fresh with a design which would (warning! heresy about to be committed!) :o beat the "Shack" hands down.
If you'd like to know why I think that I can recommend "Avro's Maritime Heavyweight The Shackleton" by Chris Ashworth, when you read about the MR.3's development woe's, you'll probably see where I'm coming from and wonder why they did what they did!
Anyway, Assuming all of the above and Accelerating the timings a bit (For NATO decisions etc) I could see a version of the Atlantic entering Coastal Command service in late 1961 (about four years adrift of what C-inC coastal Command wanted) but therefore he would have got a much more capable Aircraft, and one with room for "Growth" which the MR.3 never had despite Avro's best Attempts, It never really got much better than the MR.2!!
So with out further ado and no real attempt at a back story,
I Submit the evidence by which I should be tried! (I'll Plead Insanity!)
The Pic's

This unfortunately gave me another Idea.....
What if Avro had seen the need for a Medium sized European battle field transport with short field performance?
See "Alternate Andover" for the answer!

The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

TallEng

Quick update, Just need to add the "Fiddly" bits,
Aerials, undercarriage, Torpedo`s, etc.

Still wondering if I should have added twin 20mm cannon`s instead of the plain "goldfish bowl" nose observers position

Comments and critics welcome :cheers:
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

hurricanemk1c

2 x20mms would be great!

Good progress so far, looking forward to the result!

chrisonord

Couldn't agree more  :wacko:
20 mm cannons are the way to go, perhaps you could make a blister with some in and put it on the forward fuselage somewhere?
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

kitnut617

You could go like how the Shackleton MR.1 did, the cannon were in blisters on either side of the nose window. These cannon could move in the up-down direction only.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

TallEng

After some thought I've come up with a trial installation for the 20mm cannon fit :thumbsup:
The biggest headache was that I wanted to keep some clear view panels at the front of the A/C,
anyway after a bit of a root around in the spares box, I came up with this.

The top two thirds of the clear part will be 'plated over' or painted, leaving the bottom third as an observation window
comments etc appreciated

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

GTX

Isn't it the  Orange Harvest ESM system.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

TallEng

GTX is right :thumbsup:
its supposed to represent the Orange Harvest ECM mast as seen on later mark Shackletons.

TallEng

Little update showing terrible paint work :banghead:
and 20mm cannon fitted. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the encouragement to add them guys!

The replacement nose glazing came from the front turret of the Privateer, for those
that like to know that sort of thing <_<

Head on it doesn't look much different to a normal Atlantic.

Jeffry Fontaine

I like the nose gun turret idea and appreciate seeing it actually done up and on the model.  Is there a left and right range of motion/field of fire for this turret or is it like the Shackleton and limited to up and down only? 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

TallEng

Its just like the Shackleton, its limited to up and down. (there is very little space for the cannon breeches to move left and right!)

McColm

Captain Canada

Looks great...but you'd better fill that Spitfire glass before the whole thing topples over !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?